PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnected PXI locking up computer

I have an issue when an otherwise working PXI with PXI-5922 installed connected to a PCIe slot in my host computer by an optical cable. Everything works great if I boot up the computer with the chassis powered, but if the chassis loses power or for some reason the data link is physically disconnected, if any software tries to communicate with the chassis, the computer locks up completely. Mouse movements or keyboard presses do not register and I have to do a hard-reset.

Is this a known issue?

It can be reproduced in NI-MAX by verifying a successful connection to the device and then disconnecting the device and refreshing the connected devices in NI-MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,619 Views)

Hello Allman,

The behavior is totally expected. That is NOT a correct use of the PXI. You did not mention what PXI you are using or what MXI connection you are using, but you can find in the manual the instructions to power up the system and you need to power on the chassis first, then you power on the host. If you are going to power down the system, power down the host first, finally the chassis.

Because of this, BIOSes and operating systems make the assumption that all PCI devices in the entire hierarchy will be available as soon as code execution begins at power-up time. This assumption means that all of the expansion chassis must be turned on before the host PC for the BIOS and OS to correctly configure a MXI-Express system.

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,600 Views)

Wow, that seems really antiquated. It’s hard to get used to something that crashes the entire OS if a cable is disconnected. That’s like something straight from the 70s-era computers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,595 Views)

Hello Allman,

With MXI, you can use PXI modules as if they are PCI boards directly installed in your computer. Image you are working on your computer and while it is on we disconnect a PCI card from the motherboard. It is similar in this case.

The PXI technology comes from the PCI technology.

So, depending on our needs we can use an embedded controller with it or a MXI controller like this case.

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,588 Views)