PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty Setting up PXIT rack

Hello All,
I am setting up a second hand Sensible Solutions, 14 slot, PXIT rack. The rack has 3 x PX2000-103 multiplexor cards, 1 x signametrics 2044 6.5 digit dmm card.

The origonal NT install works and the PXIT driver software operates the multiplexors

I want to install NI Teststand and Labview 8 on the rack and win2000 is the only OS that the hardware and software packages will run under.

I dont have the origonal win2000 recovery discs and NI dont support these discs for the embedded controller anymore and so cant supply me with a set.

I have tried installing the Win2000 OS on top of NT but keep seeing "other operating system hardware" in device manager. The PXIT rack isnt seen.

I am unsure if this is a driver missing or the hard drive requires flushing with the recovery discs used which I dont currently have.

I tried contacting Sensible Solutions and visited their website, they no longer sell this hardware, Ive had no responce yet

Advice appreciated.

Regards

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,386 Views)

Hi,

you've said what the modules are, and the dmm, but what is the controller and what is the chassis (thought PXIT made a product, rather than a component like a chassis, but that may have been a more recent change)?

If it's a National Instruments one, exactly which drivers are you missing (i.e. can you screen shot the appropriate parts in device manager)?

You can find drivers for our controllers here :

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/pxi/

you'll need the pxisys.ini file (or the chassis.ini) which you should be able to get from sensible solutions, or from the NT installation if that's still on the controller.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/862567530005f09c862566a0005eab87

The pxisys.ini files generated either by MAX or downloaded from our web pages are going to be specific to our chassis and controller combinations, so not necessarily compliant with the PXIT ones.

For the multiplexor card modules, you'll need NI-VISA 2.0.1 and above, but you should have this on the driver cd with your LabVIEW 8.0 installation.

http://www.pxit.com/pdf/support/px2000-103man.pdf

For the signametrics DMM, you should be able to download the software from a link on the following page :

http://www.signametrics.com/products/smx2040.htm

Hope that helps

Thanks

Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,366 Views)

Hello Sasha,

Thank you for the advice, the PXIT rack is a PX2000-514A, 14 slot rack, although a dash between slot 7 and 8 indicates the rack is possibly set up as an 8 slot unit only. I tracked down some pxisys.ini files from the old NT ghost image, these inidcate a NI 1010, 8 slot rack config file has been used with the PXIT rack.

The controller in the rack is a PXI-8175.

I still have the 2 odd other system devices showing and think this is the pxi rack not having been configured correctly.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,359 Views)

Hi,

what are the two missing items???

Thanks

Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,349 Views)

Hello Sasha,

I think the 2 missing items (other system hardware) is a result of the win2000 install over the top of NT causing problems. I read on one of the PXI help sites that this message occurs when drivers dont install in the correct sequence.

I think a complete reinstall of the OS with win2000 could solve the problems, I have since been pointed to the 817x series controllers drivers which provide all the drivers (hopefully) I need to return the controller to the same state the win2000 recovery discs would.

I have since taken a slightly different route however and installed a MXI3 link instead. I have just got a pc to talk to the PXIT cards this morning. However I still intend to get the controller running as a backup in the near future

Regards - Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,345 Views)