PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Ametek XDL with real-time labview

I am trying to communicate with the Ametek XDL over USB with a PXI-8110 running NI Real-Time Phar Lap ETS 13.1.  When I plug in the power supply nothing shows up in NI-Max.  How do I access the USB ports on the PXI-8110 embedded controller?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,321 Views)

Hello dakolberg

Here you can find a couple of links with information about his.

Can I Control a USB Device with NI-VISA on a Real-Time Controller?

Connecting Instruments via USB

So first, you should assure that you have the correct software installed on the real time target. Then you should assure that you can see the VISA resource in MAX.

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,304 Views)

I have reviewed this several times the key here is:

"It is possible to use NI-VISA for instrument control on your Real-Time (RT) target. Any USB device that doesn't have an associated driver in the Operating System (OS) gets attached to VISA by default. This means that if you plug any USB device in your system, it should have a VISA resource. From there, you can use the VISA API to communicate with the device. "

However, in MAX the USB devices do not show up so I have no way to find the resource name to try connection VISA vi.

As for drivers which drivers should I install?  In MAX I installed everything possible to the PXI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,297 Views)

Hello dakolberg

The driver is NI-VISA.

This is what we do in order to configure a resource in MAX: Connecting Instruments via USB

If that is failing, can you tell me what error are you getting or what is happening when you follow that guide?

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,261 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  The problem following any of these is that in MAX the USB device is supposed to show up and in my system no USB device shows up.  If I connect a cDAQ-9171 it will show up, but plugging in the power supply does not show anything.  On a PC it will ask for a driver but in a real-time labview there is no way to load such a driver since windows is not running.  Is there a manual way to either load a driver or set up the USB port?

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,255 Views)

Hello dakolberg

Could you try to follow the steps here to configure your target. I know those instructions are for GPIB, however I configured my target in that way and I was able to detect a USB device I connected to my target. Please check the VISA general settings and the security.

Could you try to open VISA interactive control, connect the USB device to the controller and select "Refresh"? Could you take a screenshot of that?

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,237 Views)

I followed the directions and did see the raw USB names show up after a while.  However, when I select the PXI chassis, I get the message in attached NI Error 1.png. 

When localhost is selected and after a wait I get NI Screen 1.png

So at least now I have the resource name to the USB RAW Resources.  Will verify after the holiday that this will work.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,230 Views)

Hello dakolberg

After the holiday you could review this document with information about NI-VISA Error 0xBFFF00A7 from Real-Time Target.

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,209 Views)