PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure 6683H as PTP Slave

I'm using a 6683H timing card in a 1082 PXIe chassis. I would like to confiugre the 6683H as a PTP slave to the Symmetricom S350 Time Server that is connected to the network. Currently the 6682 is acting as a master, and will not take updates from the S350. The 6683H documenation does not explain how to accomplish this as well.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,191 Views)

Hi,

PTP (IEEE 1588) uses the best master clock algorithm to chose the highest quality clock on the network.  You can influence the decision of this algorithm by adjusting the priority 1 and 2 values on the PTP nodes (smaller value = higher priority).  I would recommend setting priority 1 to 10 on the time server, so that its priority will be lower than the default of the PXI-6683. For reference, the follow provides an overview of how the IEEE 1588 works:

Introduction to Distributed Clock Synchronization and the IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/2822

Hope this helps,

-Tyler

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,180 Views)

Thanks for the reply Tyler. After some playing around yesterday I realized my time server only uses PTP on one of the four ethernet ports, and of course I was not using that particular port. Once i connected this port to the network, everything worked just as you said it would.

Now that I have it up and running, it looks like the 6683H is configured to report TAI time instead of UTC (the controllers are reporting their time as 36 seconds ahead of the time listed as GPS time on my time server). Now i need to figure out how to change the configuration of the 6683H so that it uses UTC/GPS time instead of TAI time.

Just an FYI i think the URL you posted is incorrect. When I click on it I get the "Page Not Found." I think you simply forgot the "/en" at the end of the URL in order to make it work.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,166 Views)