PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing Host EEPROM on NI 6585 FlexRIO adapter

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to clear the host memory on an NI 6585 LVDS adapter, using the methods descrived in the Letter of Volatility http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4B0A422D33D86C8986257788006ED0DE

The document states that the Non-Volatile memory size in 2KB. When I attempt to use the FlexRIO_Host_EEPROMReadByteArray, it only lets me read 255 bytes, not 2KB.  Is this size correct and if so, is the remaining portion user accessible via other means?

When I read it, I get  hexidecimal 10, 93, 74, 88, 01, AA, 1F, B1, FF, FF...(continues FF to the end).  Are these initial non-FF digits the device configuration and module identification information?  If I overwrite them with null values, will I create problems reading the module?

- Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,472 Views)

I answered part of my own question.  The link http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372614J-01/frioamshelp/faminterfaceprotocol/ describes the EEPROM format.  The 2KB size is in bits, not bytes, so 256x8 is 2048.

I can't find the format of the data at the beginning, so I'm assuming that all those bits are important, and if they are set to null, the FlexRIO firmware will set the mismatch bit and not power up the adapter.  That should really be noted in the letter of volatility.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,460 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKneale

Hi JKneale,

I believe that the first 8 digits are for the device configuration and module identification information, but I'm escalating this issue to R&D to provide you a more concrete answer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,449 Views)

Hi JKneale,

I managed to find more information on the EEPROM configuration.  Addresses 0x00 - 0x1F are for manufacturer information and addresses 0x20 - 0xFF are used for user space.  You should only modify the user space, but if you do erase all of the EEPROM, you can overwrite it again with the original information.  Make sure to record your original EEPROM in case this happens.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,292 Views)