From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't identify PXIe-8370 in MAX (no option)

Hi.
Problem with the innitial installation of an NI PXIe-8370 (MXI-Express x4) controller in an NI PXIe-1062Q PXI chassis, and a PCIe8371 control card in a Win XP PC.

I have a link light on the 8370, all was powered up in the right order. "NI PXI Platform Services" is installed, with exception of "real time support" for PXI, rt support for VISA, and LabWindows/CVI Support for MAX.

Started MAX, PXI System shows up as unidentified, tried to "identify as" but nothing other than 8100 series and external pc are available as selections. Tried browsing for *.ini file in
Program Files -->National Instruments -->PXI-->HardwareDescriptions-->Controllers without success.
Searched "knowledgebase" without success.

Help appreciated.

Bill Mileski
william dot mileski at gmail dot com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,621 Views)

Got it fixed, thanks anyway 🙂

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,610 Views)
I have the same problem.  How did you get it fixed?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,559 Views)

Hi there,

Well, I ended up having to power down the computer, then the PXI chassis, then removing all cards but the 6722 card. Then I powered on the chassis, then the computer, and the computer recognized (found new hardware wizard) and installed the 8370 (PC side) controller card.  Once the driver completed installation, by itself the computer recognized the 6722, and when that was done, I shut down the computer, powered off the PXI chassis, and installed all the peripherals.  Then powered up the chassis (always first, to make sure PCI hardware are up before the computer), then the computer, and the found new hardware wizard successively found the peripherals and installed the NI drivers. Then I looked in MAX and the peripherals and chassis showed up (chassis still said "unrecognized" but this is ok.. the peripherals all showed up underneath it).

My original problem included some resources conflict, that went away once I did this.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Had a resource conflict that was preventing the installation of the 8370 controller card.

- removed all but 6722 peripheral, and 8370 was recognized, installed, then 6722 was recognized, installed

- installed remaining drivers and peripherals

- all appeared properly in MAX

- PC issues went away (touch screen works, etc.)

2. Proceed with basic test of each peripheral

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,556 Views)

Thanks Bill, that helped.  Turned out I just needed to update the drivers for the NI devices in Windows.  Everything seems to be working now.

Dave Milley

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,546 Views)