PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibrating PCI cards using Calibration Executive?

I am currently calibrating PXI cards using Calibration Executive (3.2.2) and a PXI-1050 Chassis, my company is getting ready to start buying PCI cards, specifically PCI-6542 and PCI-6713. What additional equipment will I need to purchase so that I will be able to calibrate the PCI cards? If the PC I am currently using does not have enough slots to accomodate additional cards is it necessary to buy another PC or is there a chassis that will let me calibrate the PCI cards outside of a PC?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,149 Views)
Hi Rick,

There is currently no chassis that I know of that will let you calibrate PCI cards outside the PC.  I guess you could build up a computer outside a case to make it easier to swap in new cards for calibration.  However, these cards are not hot-swappable and you would need to treat it like any other PCI card.  In addition, the 6542 isn't currently supported in calibration executive.  Did you have a custom calibration procedure you were going to run? 

In regards to the 6713, the calibration devices and procedure is the same for both cards (minus a few steps just for the PXI calibration).  The devices can be seen below:

Instrument Recommended Model Requirements
Calibrator Fluke 5700A If that instrument is unavailable, use a high-precision voltage source that is at least 50 ppm accurate for 12- and 13-bit boards and 10 ppm for 16-bit boards.
DMM NI 4070,
Agilent 3458A
If these instruments are unavailable, use a multi-ranging 5.5-digit DMM with an accuracy of 40 ppm
Counter Agilent 53131A If this instrument is unavailable, use a counter with an accuracy of 0.01%.
Chassis NI PXI-1042,
NI PXI-1042Q
Use with PXI modules.
DAQ Accessory NI SCB-68 Shielded I/O connector block with 68 screw terminals for easy signal connection to 68- or 100-pin DAQ devices.
NI CB-68LP,
NI CB-68LPR,
NI TBX-68
Low-cost termination accessories with 68 screw terminals for easy connection of field I/O signals to 68-pin DAQ devices.
Shielded DAQ Cable NI SH68-68-EP Use with NI 671x/672x/673x modules with a 68-pin SCSI II connector.
NI SHC68-68-EP Use with NI 6715.
NI SH68-C68-S Use with NI 6722/6723.

For the calibration procedure to work you need the computer to have access to the calibrator, DMM, and counter.  This means they need some type of direct connection to the computer where the PCI cards are installed.  This may be in the form of a GPIB card / cable or MXI connection to a PXI chassis that includes the DMM or other devices. 

I hope this helps,
Paul C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,136 Views)
Hi Rick,

I wanted to also mention that I found this KB here.  It mentions some reasons why the 6542 doesn't require calibration.

Regards,
Paul C.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,126 Views)