PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Doubts on programming ZT-431PXI (Similar to NI 12-bit 200Msps PXI)

Hello Sir,

The application that I wish to build is a program similar to the (Z-Scope) Z-Tec Soft Front Panel that can be found here (http://www.ztec-inc.com/misc/ZT431PXI_SFP/). Z-Scope is similar to NI-Scope. The reason why I would like to re-build the same application is Z-Scope is not storing the data, which is my requirement. My requirement is to store data every time I capture the waveform. Hence, I have started creating a new program (I am attaching the same to this e-mail, also the LabVIEW drivers are attached).

The goal of my program is to acquire data using the two available channels with an external trigger. To start with, I did a LabVIEW program for a single channel acquisition with a trigger. I’ve designed a VI (is attached to this e-mail). Hence, after creating the VI, I wasn’t sure if I have placed the blocks (ZT431 VI functions like init, channel enable, auto-setup, data capture, data download, and close) at the right place. I also have few doubts regarding my program.

1) As said before, I’ve created the program for a single channel. How can I program this VI to connect two channels and have an option to enable (or) disable the channels (as they did in the NI-Scope).

2) We have a function in the ZT431 function palette that’s named "Store reference waveform". How does this stores the waveform? Can I store the captured waveform using this function (or) do I have to use some other LabVIEW function to store data?

3) Regarding the Z-Scope (SFP), where is the data stored? I am asking this question because, when I capture the data using that application, it has to store the data at some place in order to plot it, so where exactly the (NI-Scope Soft Front Panel) is storing the Data?

4) I would like to make sure that I placed all the blocks at right place. I would appreciate if you can verify that. And when you download my VI, you have to have all ZT431 functions loaded in the LabVIEW library in order to view the functions properly.

5) How may I plot the acquired Data? When I worked on the LabVIEW earlier, I use to have the waveform data coming out of the function to plot it. Now, the out put of each block is the instrument out session, so how can I plot this data on a waveform?

6) Also, in which function may I specify the points/Channel (Points to Acquire) and the Sampling rate as you did on the Z-Scope soft front panel?

Finally, if someone built the NI-Scope application in LabVIEW for PXI, you might have idea about the code, I would appreciate if you can send an examples which works at least with one channel. I really appreciate someone's support.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,276 Views)

Hi Krishna,

Even though Z-Scope was built for LabVIEW, we don’t have any information about how data is handled/stored. You will have to contact the developers of Z-Scope to get detailed information about how they handle data.

If you have specific questions about NI-Scope we would be more than happy to help you but at this point there is not much we can do.

Good luck,

Tica T

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,265 Views)
Hello Tica,
                  I got stuck up at some simple point and I know its very simple but I am not able to figure it out. When I get an output which is instrument session output from one block, How should I convert an instrument session to Waveform and display waveform. The main problem is, when I am trying to build a program which may function similar to the NI scope, from each block I am getting the same output which is the instrumentation session output but not waveform. How can I possible get the waveform..which function do I have to use. If you take a look at the program I've attached above, you might be able to guide me. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,251 Views)
Krishna,

I took a look at your VI...

I don't think it's possible to "convert an instrument session to Waveform" in order to get the data from your acquisition.  The session holds information about communicating with the device, but does not contain actual data.

One of the functions that comes with the driver for your Z Scope should have a waveform output along with the error and instrument session outputs.  You will need to use this function to acquire your data.

In the future, I recommend using NI hardware products along with LabVIEW for ease of integration.  The NI-Scope driver currently ships with 39 "ready-to-run" examples that utilize the full functionality of our scopes.  Furthermore, you would be able to receive more pertinent support here on our discussion forums when proceeding with your application.

Have a great day!  Let us know if there is anything else we can help out with.

Travis
Message 4 of 5
(3,242 Views)
For future reference, there are a multitude of LabVIEW Examples for ZTEC Oscilloscopes and Arbitrary Waveform Generators available in the ZTEC Support Center:

Thanks,

Creston Kuenzi
Applications Engineer
ZTEC Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,936 Views)