PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know what can cause the MXI-3 and PXI-1010 chassis to prevent PC bootup?

Situation: The PC locked up with the display blank. The PC would not bootup (not even POST) after power was cycled (several attempts).

Resolution: Simple. The chassis power was cycled and the PC was fully operational.

Background: The PC is a Dell Dimension 733 running WIN98 and used daily for production test. The test program is a combination of TestStand, instrument dll's and Labview.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,081 Views)
Hi,

If the pci-mxi-3 is locking up the computer the most common cause for this is a bad mxi-3 card. To check this you will want to try the mxi-3 card and chassis with another type of computer. If it doesn't boot in more than one computer of different types you will want to return the board to national instruments for repair.

Another thing that we have seen in some computers is interference or noise from the power supplies interrupting communication through the mxi-3 devices. The only thing you can really try in this case is to move the pci-mxi-2 card to another slot in the pc and see if it works, or try using a different type of pc.

Power cycling the chassis is not a valid solution as this will drop the mxi-3 link and then you will no longer be able to talk to de
vices in the pxi system. You always need to successful power the pxi-mxi-2 card and chassis before you power up your pc.

Best Regards,

Amy Hindman
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,081 Views)
Thank you for you response. Noise is a possiblity that I could persue. Have you seen problems with other external sources of noise (contacts or motors)?

Also, I would like to add some more background that may help clarify the resolution. The computer power was cycled several times without powering down the chassis. Then chassis power was cycled with the PC power off. The PC was powered on and was fully operational. This has only happened once.

This leads me to beleive that the chassis is not reset when the PC is shutdown. Is it standard procedure to power off the chassis with every PC restart or shutdown?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,081 Views)
I do experience problems from time to time with computers freezing so I always follow these steps when rebooting!

1) Power on any SCXI chassis attached to the PXI chassis
2) Power on the PXI chassis (I have a colleague who says step #3 must be performed with-in 8 sec of step #2)
3) Boot computer

Never power off the MXI-3 ie PXI chassis while the computer is on!

Reverse the above order when powering down the system.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,081 Views)

Hi All, I,m fighting against the same problem

What I have:

Chassis PXI 1000B

PXI-8330 inserted to 8th slot

PXI-6508 inserted to 7th slot

PCI-8330 in one PC PCI slot

I have tested these three different PC:

Thin client IGEL, Via processor 1Ghz with 1Gb RAM WinXPSP3

Fujitsu Scenic E600 Win2KSP4

PC with Asus M597A EVVO R2 mother board with AMD FX-8120-core  WinXPSP3

I start the PXI chassis first.

Start the PC, but it hangs in black screen and no booting. When I stop the PXI chassis it boots normally.

The LEDs whilst the PC doesn´t boots are.

PXI-8330  POWER: Green

RX: Ambar

LINK: OFF

TX:OFF

PCI-8330   POWER:Green

LINK:GREEN

RX: OFF

TX:OFF

I have installed the MXI-115 driver prior to install the PCi card on the PC

I have tested several things, change the PXI-8330 to another slot, start PXI chassis with PXI-8330 alone, update the Bios of the third PC, change the PCI-8330 to anothe slot

Please can somebody help me?

Thanks¡

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,574 Views)