PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addressing PXI-4060 in labview

Hi

i have a PXI-4060 fitted in my PXI chassis.

it is identified as follows in MAX 4.1:

under traditional NI DAQ (legacy) Devices it is "NI 4060 for PXI (DEVICE 6)

under PXI SYSTEM->CHASSIS 1 (PXI-1045) it is "PXI16::10::INSTR (NI 4060 for PXI)"

i modified the entry under PXI SYSTEM to a simple alias of DVM, so it now shows as "DVM (NI 4060 for PXI)"

it was my understanding that i could access this instrument in labview using DVM as the resource name.

However, when using niDMM initialise and adding a control to the resource pin i get the following drop down choices:

DAQ::1::INSTR or DAQ::6

Only DAQ::6 works. the other causes an error.

using string input with DAQ::6 works.

nothing else works.

should DVM work? Note that it is shown as an alias under visaconf.ini.

other instruments i have given aliases (ie 2503) wwork when called using the alias (ie niSWITCH initialise using the alias relay_card_1)

many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,434 Views)
Hi,

Thats a very interesting issue, I just wanted to let you know that I am looking into it for you now and will try this out to see if I can cause the same error to occur and discover the reason behind it.

I will let you know what I find,
All the best,
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,415 Views)

thanks

i was also having the same sort of issue witha PXI-2564 where it would ounly recognise PXI1Slot5 but not the alias.

after a "downgrade" to MAX 4.1 this device no longer works. selftest gives an error. but thats another issue

regards 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,413 Views)

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, just wanted to let you know I have reproduced what you are seeing with this VI and am looking through to see if this is expected behaviour or if any previous logic is required before reading from this VI, I will let you know what I find.

All the best,

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,401 Views)

Hi,

After searching around and trying to get it to run it looks as though this particular VI (which talks to a dll at the lower level) only takes in the actual name and not the resource name. The behaviour is the same on the DMM Soft panel as well so I believe this to be expected (all be it somewhat undocumentated) behaviour.

Therefore I believe your only option is to use the actual channel name to access the instrument with this VI

All the best,

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,397 Views)

The actual channel name being DAQ::6?

if the card is fitted to 3 other chassis at the same slot will they all communicate as DAQ::6?

this is important as we are building 4 systems.

many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,395 Views)

If they are in the same slots of the PXI chassis then MAX will automatically assign it ::6 for you,

All the best,

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,393 Views)