cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions PXIe-8840

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Everyone!

Recently I have started work with PXIe-1082 chassic with PXIe-8840 inside.

After reading the manuals on this topic I have some questions remain, so i hope you could help me in my research.

First, I need to self-test all of my devices(7962R,  PXI-1553 4137, 2520, 7853R, 8431/8 and 8840) in LabView. Now i can handle with 2 FPGA slots, 4137, 2520(using switch, dcpower VI's). I know how to test hardware in NI MAX, and know how to test in LabView with self-test VI's, but i dont know how can i self-test 8840 in LV, so i ask you for help . Also, now im not sure about 8431, but i think its possible to test it using NI Serial. 

Second, my PXI-1553 module isnt displayed in Windows Device Manager same as in NI MAX Device (NI VISA installed).

I have installed instrumental drivers for LV, and hardware drivers for windows already, but result still the same.

In MAX i see empty slot on that place. Details on pinned screenshots. So if anyone knows about that problem - please guide me.

Thanks a lot for everyone

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,872 Views)

1. You should be able to self test the 8840 with the NI System Configuration API if you have PXI Platform Services 15.0 or newer installed 

From the read me...

"Enhancements and Bug Fixes in Version 15.0

Self-Test for PXI Platform Hardware

Self-test is available for PXI chassis and embedded and remote controllers; this feature can be accessed through MAX and NI System Configuration API. Self-test verifies basic hardware functionality."

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//PXI/PXI%20Platform%20Services/15.0.2/ReadMe.html

2. Is the device missing completely in NI MAX? it is hard to tell from the screenshot. What slot is the device supposed to be in?

What is it showing up as in Device Manager?

Spencer R | NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,848 Views)

Hello Mr Spencer.

Thank you for information about system configuration. It was very helpful.

About my second question. Yes, its comletely missing in MAX, just empty slot number 3 in chassi. Here i attach screenshots of full MAX window and Device Manager. Small info about my actions : i downoloaded all soft and hard drivers from developer(aviftech) and sucesfully instaled them, but still nothing is happening.

Thank.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,827 Views)
Solution
Accepted by YaroslavS

If the device isn't even showing up in Device Manager, then it will not be seen in MAX. 

Have you tried putting the card in a different slot?

Have you tried putting other cards in the 3rd slot?

Have you tried to remove all the cards except the one in question?

Do you have another chassis to test the card in?

Are any of the pins bent/broken in the 3rd slot?

My initial thoughts are that the card may be having issue, the chassis 3rd slot may be faulty, or that there may be a BIOS enumeration issue. If you remove other cards and try it alone this should remove any enumeration issues. 

Spencer R | NI

Message 4 of 5
(3,811 Views)

Thank you for advices.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,805 Views)