PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bits data transfer from Host to FPGA.

Is there any way to transfer data from Host to FPGA on 32 bits chunks at once?

I reviewed the FIFO options, but they seem to only work for internal loops within the FPGA, or from the FPGA to Host direction with the DMA FIFO.

So looks like my only option is to use the internal FPGA memory with the 'Memory Read' and 'Memory Write' functions from LabView. But I then found that these functions work with 16 bits WDs. I still can use a double Read/Write of these 16-bits functions to make the 32-bits, but I am trying to make my code the most efficient possible so if can do 32-bits at once would be much better.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,256 Views)
Hi,

I believe that you could use the LabVIEW FPGA Memory Extension Utility to create memory blocks that you can read/write in 32 bits.  Depending on your LabVIEW version, you can download it from:

If you still have more questions on LabVIEW FPGA, I would recommend posting in the LabVIEW::FPGA forum at:

Hope this helps. 

Regards,
Erin
NI Mexico
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,237 Views)

I have sent blocks of 32 bits from the Host to the FPGA using the FIFOs and vica versa.  I created a U32 on the host and on the FPGA. There is a loop that accepts the U32 from the Host and stores it in the FIFO - this continues until all of the data has been transfered to the FIFO.  I then moved the data out serially bitwise until all of the data has been sent.  I also use this method to read back from the FPGA in a similar manner. 

I am working on a LabVIEW 8.01 FPGA 2.02 where I use DMA to move the U32s between the Host & FPGA Target.

Dave

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,182 Views)