Did you eat the breakfast at the convention center?  It's ok.. 😉

Plus we do not know if he is travelling alone..  😄

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31
(3,436 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

Did you eat the breakfast at the convention center?  It's ok.. 😉

Plus we do not know if he is travelling alone..  😄

Yes I ate the breakfast every morning.  It was funny to see the turn out on Tuesday morning, and compare it to Thursday morning.  Food wasn't bad, just usually not much variety.  Breakfast burritos were good.

Also if he is traveling with a companion, then be sure and get the free Expo Only pass for the better half.  It gets you into the keynotes, and expo floor.  Well the breakfast was right by the keynotes so when I did this with my wife she ate breakfast with me for free too.  Which I probably wasn't supposed to do.  For lunch they scan your badge, but breakfast is just open.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(3,433 Views)

I'm travelling alone. I was going to say I don't care about the quality of breakfast, but I should reserve judgement until I see it.  Burritos for breakfast, really?  Almost sounds like a breakfast roll.  Was all the rage in Ireland a few years back but I think most fans have since dies of coronary disease int he mean-time.

Hmm, maybe I'll make sure there's something on offer at the hotel just in case.  I want to make it until the end of the week. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31
(3,425 Views)

Oh boy do you have a lot to learn about American's and breakfast.  In general it ain't great.  

Your typical hotel has a continental breakfast, which usually means coffee, cold cereal, yogurt (packaged), toast (really just bread and a toaster), and jelly/jam (packaged).  The nicer hotels have a few hot things like ham, sausage, eggs, and biscuit's and gravy.  NI has slightly more offerings with some hot food, like bacon, sausage, and eggs, along with some fruit and juice.  A breakfast burrito is actually one of the better things to have at the convention, which is basically an omelet wrapped in a corn tortilla. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31
(3,415 Views)

Well, it seems my visit to NI week is guaranteed to be a good learning experience.  I hope some of what I learn is actually taking place beyond the breakfast bar... Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31
(3,411 Views)

Come on, guys...you'll be in Austin. The proper terminology is "breakfast taco". 😉

Speaking of, if you get a chance while you're here, swing by a Torchy's Tacos. They're damn good.

Message 16 of 31
(3,408 Views)

American food is an interesting topic.  My wife & I enjoy cooking and we watch cooking shows like "Cutthroat Kitchen" and other like contests.

Often, we look at each other and say:  "what the heck is a .....???!??"  Oh!  It's this or that and they F-R-Y it??!!  Yikes!  It seems frying as another all-American sport.

If it's food, just dumpt it in the fryer..

Well...  after many years of cooking, we finally bought a fryer.  It is not typical our our "cuisine" to fry anything other than some oil / buttry in a frying pan.  Although I haven't seen this, I'm sure some place will drop an egg into a fryer and serve it hot.. LOL!!   😄  Okay... I'm exaggerating..

I joined a cooking club and I am surprised at how little I know of American foods..  But from what I understand, they greatly vary by region.  There is a constant, however, to North-American breakfast, which is bacon & eggs with toast.  I like it when they get creative and love to try anything.   Well... almost...  

Spoiler
I'm not ready for fried cockroach or musquitoes.  I did eat alligator in New Orleans..  

Intaris, you're gonna love NI Week.  Wish I was going this year.  😞

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31
(3,405 Views)

Well, you need a fryer to create poutine *, but that's a different discussion 😄

Usually, there is way too much food.

Also try to sign up for the lava BBQ (info not out yet).

*The culinary contribution of Canada to the world!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(3,400 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

If it's food, just dumpt it in the fryer.(

You mean like a taco, wrapped in about 5 other tacos wrapped in a pizza?

@darrin wrote:

The proper terminology is "breakfast taco"

Breakfast burrito rolls off the tongue easier.  Besides I'm in Michigan at the moment.

@Intaris wrote:

I hope some of what I learn is actually taking place beyond the breakfast bar

Oh yeah there's tons to learn about in Austin.

Spoiler
Have you ever heard of 6th street?

But seriously it is a great time to see what others are doing, and to discuss all the cool new ways of doing things.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31
(3,397 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Well, you need a fryer to create poutine *, but that's a different discussion 😄

Usually, there is way too much food.

Also try to sign up for the lava BBQ (info not out yet).

*The culinary contribution of Canada to the world!

Did you recover from eating that poutine?  😉

We'll have to try an LA version of the same..  LOL!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31
(3,386 Views)