NI VideoMASTER and NI AudioMASTER

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use NI PQA to Stream Video to the Front Panel

Anyone know how it would be possible to stream video using the NI PQA API to a labview front panel. At the moment I have a VI that does a SSIM measurement and I would like to have something like the NI PQA GUI where the incoming video test stream is displayed while waiting for the trigger.

If the NI PQA main application can do it then I would assume that the same can be done with the API.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(10,887 Views)

Hi DaniellD,

I believe that this can be done however I am not sure at the moment of how to do this. I will have to do some exploring in the software to see how this may be possible.Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Kaitlin N.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(10,860 Views)

Hi Daniel,

I just wanted to update you to let you know that we are still working on this. We hope to have a solution for you shortly.

Regards,

Kaitlin N.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(10,843 Views)

Hello Daniel, 

Here is the workaround to this issue that will get you the feature you are looking for. 

1. In the PQA GUI check the" Video in Window" option. 

Capture.PNG

2. Ensure to save this selected type into the configuration .bin file.

3. In LabVIEW when you call the configuration file you will see the Video appear in a separate window. Note that with this workaround stress will be added to the UI thread because LabVIEW will need to redraw this Video image.   

Regards,

Izzy O.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

Message 4 of 5
(10,818 Views)

Daniel, today I was reviewing some stuff and ran across this community example for PQA,  At the time of your post I wasn't aware that we had implemented some stuff like this except when we (NI) had tapped into some private-API functionality.  Effectively what is happening in this example is that they are doing some image processing, and then calling that processing up in another VI for display later.  They are using queues to do this so that it won't slow PQA down.

You will likely have some trouble getting the code in the linked example to run directly if you are running newer versions of PQA and LabVIEW.  I was able to resolve some of those conflicts by doing a mass compile of the LLB in LabVIEW 2011, which is what is required for the version of PQA I'm running, PQA 1.6  However, I think the general idea of how they are queing an image in 'Difference Map.vi' and dequeueing it in 'DMDisplay.vi' is still valuable.

I think you could possibly implement a similar system by:

1) Use a custom user processor from the template, and simply add a queue into the 'calcuate' step that queues the image(s).  No other actions would be necessary in the user processor.

2) Call on that same queue in your main VI, in its own loop so it can run independently, dequeue the image and display it.  Since data will be coming in at up to 60Hz, and LabVIEW on Windows likely won't be able to loop that fast, you may want to implement a system of tossing out some frames if the queue size grows too large.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(10,629 Views)