From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

show system alarm notification list

Solved!
Go to solution

How do i show the system alarm notification list? It shows when a anlarm is present, but I need to show this list on demand to look at alarm history. I can't seem to find any thing in the normal workspace menu's that will show this list.

My other thought is to create a alarm for a push button on the workspace and trigger the alarm list that way. 

Damian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,597 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Damian_S

Hi Damian,

First, let me mention that if you're using VeriStand 2015 SP1 or later, you can use the new UI Manager as an alternative to the old VeriStand Workspace.  This new application has an Alarm Monitor tool which has an Alarm History tab that you can switch ot at any time.  Check it out if you haven't already!

In regards to the alarm history notification dialog, there's no built-in functionality do this, and the only time it will show up is when an alarm gets fired.  The VI itself is built into the VeriStand exe, so modifications can't be made to it.

However, I was able to make a simple VI that you can add to your Tools menu which allows you to display the dialog.  Some caveats first though:

1) It's not fully tested, so there's a chance it may not work as expected in all cases (although it seemed fine in my limited tests)

2) It points to a VI path internal to the VeriStand exe.  There's always a chance that this may change or no longer work in the future (although I'd say the chances of it changing is quite low)

3) I made this VI in LabVIEW 2015, so it will only work with VeriStand 2015 or 2015 SP1.  If you are using a different version of VeriStand, let me know and I can recompile it for you in the proper version.

To use this tool, unzip the VI in the attached .zip file to the following location:

<Public Documents>\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2015\Workspace Tools\Show Alarm History.vi

In you VeriStand project, right-click the "User Interface" node and select "Configure Tools".  In the dialog, click the "Create new item" button in the lower-left corner of the dialog, then configure it as a Custom VI Tool, as shown here:

Show Alarm History.png

After this, click OK then run your project.  In the "Tools" menu in your workspace you should see the new "Show Alarm History" command.  If you click it, the System Alarm Noticiation List should appear.

Hopefully that should work for you, but let me know if you have any problems.

If you don't want to use this for whatever reason, your other idea about creating a dedicated alarm button will work as well, but then you'll end up with a lot of extra "Display" alarm notications in your list.

Message 2 of 3
(3,560 Views)

Devin_K,

Thanks for the solution and explanation. This works great. 

Yes, I'm using Veristand 2014 for this application and I was able to recompile the VI to LV2014 and it runs as expected. I'll continue testing before releasing to our internal customer. 

Thanks for the info about VeriStand 2015 SP1. We have a copy as part of our VLA, so I'll look into this a bit more. It sounds like for future projects, it might be a better solution. 

Have a good day,

Damian

Damian
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,538 Views)