From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom device / I am trying to use a vehicle controller model developed in LabVIEW with compactRIO (cRIO-9024)

Now I have developed a vehile controller model with LabVIEW so as to run on VxWorks operating system. ( compactRIO cRIO-9024)

And I converted a controller model of labview into *.lvmodel in order to use it as I did with simulink models. 

However, converted *.lvmodel was not supported for VxWorks operating system. so after searching for this, I found out that I have to use a custom device. 

I am now studying the custom device, but it looks diffcult because I dont have much experience in real-time system.

Here are my questions.

1. Simulation model in VeriStand

Should I convert a labview controller model into *.lvmodel even if I use the custom device in order to run on VxWorks operating system? 

If not, what should I do after building a controller model with labview?

2. Operating system

It is silly question. anyway, as long as I run a controller model on compactRIO cRIO-9024, the operating system always has to be set to VxWorks. Is it right?

3. Custom device

This is the most difficult thing. I dont know even what to do. What functions should be inside a custom device template tool? The controller model send output signals to a vehicle model, and receive input signals from a vehicle model.

Thank you in advance. 

Hognjun

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,233 Views)

If you just want to run a controller model written in LV on a cRIO-9024, you might look into using the Easy Custom Device Tool as a starting point. It wraps the more complicated custom device code and just gives you a few simple VIs to fill in. You define clusters that represent the inputs and outputs of the custom device, and don't have to use the Custom Device API or FIFOs to read or write your data.

This tool is not as flexible or powerful as creating a custom device from scratch, but it's designed to be a lot easier.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,223 Views)

Thank you for the reply. Jarrod S.

It was helpful for me to understand a custom device, but I am still questionable.

1. Where should I put a vehicle controller model written in LabVIEW? Under custom devices folder or Simulation Model folder?

The example of Easy Custom Device Tool you introduced to me includes a Add function to be run in the VeriStand. That is, a custom device includes a labview model.

However, when I use a controller model developed by simulink with compactRIO, a simulink model should be added into the Simulation Model folder of the VeriStand. Of course, in this case, a custom device is NOT necessary. After adding a simulink model, signal mappings will be implemented. 

2. If a custom device must include a vehicle controller model of LabVIEW so as to run on VxWorks oeprating system (compactRIO , cRIO-9024),

Operating System must be set to VxWorks? 

3. With Easy Custom Device Tool, can I build my custom device model?

My vehicle controller model is required to send and receive input and output signals through CAN bus. 

4. Execution mode

In case of engine control unit, which execustion model should be set? I have 5 options in a custom device template.

Asynchronous, Inline HW interface, Inline Model interface, Inline Timing and Sync, Asynchronous Timing and Sync. 

Too much questions. 

Thank you again

Hongjun

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,203 Views)