From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between 'Channel' & 'Waveform' item (in context of Custom Devices)

I'm new to VeriStand, but have experience of LabVIEW. Now in order to use a third party Switch/Relay module in VeriStand, we are creating a custom device. This link talks about one of the planning steps. Though it is somewhat explained, I'm unable to understand the difference between 'Channel' & 'Waveform' item.

Any explaination/comment is highly appreciable.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,087 Views)

Channels are used to represent single points of data, whereas Waveforms are used to represent a buffer of data over time. Waveforms are generally used when acquiring and processing data at very high rates up to the megasamples per second. Waveforms are not good for control signals, because you generally read and write many points at a time.

If you are working on a switch/relay module, I would imagine you would use Channels instead of Waveforms.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(5,068 Views)