From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VeriStand custom device error -307603: No main page specified?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm getting error -307603 when I try to add a custom device I've developed to a VeriStand project on a customer's computer.  The error message window states:

"Error -307603 occurred at Custom Devices Storage.lvlib:Initialize New Custom Device.vi >> Custom Devices Storage.lvlib:Get Main Page Data.vi.

Possible Reason(s): NI VeriStand:  The requested custom device does not have a main page specified. Contact the creator of the custom device to correct this error."

I don't get this error when adding the custom device to VeriStand on my development computer; only on the customer's computer.  I've tried copying the built custom device over to the customer's computer as well as building the custom device from source on the customer's computer.  I also have three other custom devices that I've developed that work fine on the same computer, so I don't know why this one isn't working.  I've checked the configuration build specification to make sure the main page VI is included in the source files, and the generate preview test shows only the custom device LLB and the XML file in the build directory, as expected.  The XML file is also pointing to the correct path for the main page VI, and the GUID in the XML file matches the GUID in the GUID lookup global variable.  I can't think of anything else to check.

Development computer:

Windows 7, 64 bit

LabVIEW 2011 SP1

VeriStand 2011 SP1

Customer's computer:

Windows XP SP3, 32 bit

LabVIEW 2011 SP1

VeriStand 2011 SP1

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have any advice for further troubleshooting?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,281 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NFT

I got it working, but I'm not exactly sure what the problem was.  I had made a copy of the portion of the XML file that adds the custom device to the right-click menu and commented out the original, then edited the portion I copied it to give the custom device a different name on the menu.  It worked fine on my development computer back when I made the change, so I figured it was OK.  I just went in and reverted the file back to the original version and now it works on my customer's computer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,265 Views)

I experienced this same problem for a long time when I was new the the custom device building process, but as soon as I figured out that you are not supposed to build custom devices in the same directory where Veristand looks for them, the problem went away.  However, it sounds like you may already know that.  In any case, here is the method I incorporated to get past the issue:

1.) Create a directory for building custom devices (anywhere other than the C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2012\Custom Devices).

2.) Inside that directory, create the custom device.

3.) Within that same directory, create a folder with the exact same name as your custom device.

4.) In the project build specifications, change the destination folder to the folder you just created. 

5.) Build all build specifications.

6.) Copy the folder (containing only the build spec libraries, and the .xml file) to the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2012\Custom Devices" directory. 

If this is similar to the process you already follow, then I would guess that there is something else in that directory that is confusing Veristand.  You may want to try to remove any other files or directories from old custom devices, or at least make sure there aren't any files with identical names. 

GSinMN    

Message 3 of 5
(7,238 Views)

hi,

I am facing this issue while adding the new custom device , the custom devices which are already present gets deployed properly. I am not able to figure what is the issue here, my custom device llb and the XML looks perfectly fine , the paths are proper.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,366 Views)

Hi arivb.6,

This thread is 3 years old. Please start a new thread for your issue, and I'm sure our community will reach out to help you resolve it. Also, please include screen shots whenever possible.

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,330 Views)