VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VeriStand Evaluation Deletes National Instruments Start Menu Contents

I installed the evaluation version of VeriStand. When I opened the National Instruments section of the start menu it became apparent that the installer had deleted the other menu items  (LabVIEW 2014, TestStand 2014, FPGA, Real Time, Links to product help, etc.), as can be seen in the image below. The installer needs to be fixed so that it does not remove existing menu items. 

NI Start Menu.png

David C
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,951 Views)

Thanks for taking time to report the strange behavior you saw! NI really appreciates feedback from users to be able to improve our products. If you wouldn't mind, could you please assist us a little further by answering the questions below?

1. Did you perform any other steps between when you were able to see the missing entries in the start menu and installing VeriStand?
  2. Also, what version of VeriStand did you install? You can find a specific version number by going to Help>>About NI VeriStand.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,919 Views)
Hi Mike,

1) I did a standard install for Veristand. No other actions were performed. I noticed the missing menu items when I went to add VeriStand to the Task Bar.
2) I installed VeriStand 2014.0.0.82 Evaluation, which was downloaded from the NI web site.

I also have LabViEW 2014 SP1 installed, along with the Real Time and FPGA modules. These are the menu items that have been deleted.
David C
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,912 Views)

Hey David,

Thanks for the additional information! 

I'm going to set up a test PC today to see if I can reproduce what you experienced. If I can reproduce the same behavior I will file a Corrective Action Request (CAR) with R&D so that we can get the bug sorted out in a future release.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! Sorry for the inconvenience and missing Start Menu items 🙂

Definitely let us know if you ever experience anything similar with future VeriStand installers or any other NI products!

Edit: I forgot we are missing one piece of information! Can you tell us what release/edition of Windows you are using? 

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,893 Views)

Hi Andy,

I am using Windows 7 Pro, SP1 - 64 bit.

If you copy the folder structure to a safe location, you should be able to drop it back in after VeriStand breaks it.

David. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,885 Views)

Hey David,

One final question: do you know which exact link you used from our website to acquire VeriStand?

Thanks!

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,854 Views)

Hi Andy,

I think I Googled 'VeriStand download' and it took me here:

http://www.ni.com/veristand/download/

Clicking on the Download VeriStand link takes me here:

http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALVERISTAND/US

Where i donloaded the downloader.

I still have the downloader, which is attached, in case it helps. Change the extension back to exe, as the web site didn't like me posting an executable. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,850 Views)

Thanks for continuing to provide us with more info on this issue! As Andy mentioned, I'll setup a test machine tomorrow to try this on our end and let you know what the results are.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,827 Views)

I was unable to reproduce the issue. The computer I'm working on has LabVIEW 2014, DAQmx, FPGA Compile Tools, VISA, and others. After installing VeriStand, all entries in the start menu are still there. It seems that this may have been a one-off occurence on your machine. But, if this issue ever occurs for anyone else, I encourage them to post on this thread. If more people experience this issue, we'll bring it to the attention of R&D for investigation.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,810 Views)