From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Indicator?

I had a customer ask me today if the VeriStand workspace had a string indicator that could be used for displaying simulation status.

1. What is the best way to implement a string indicator in the existing VeriStand Workspace?  Custom Control?

2. Do we plan on adding string indicators to future implementations of the VeriStand Workspace?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,437 Views)

Are those blue stripes? I thought NI employes weren't allowed to open threads here...

Anyway:

1. You can do a custom control, there's a pretty good tutorial on them.

2. The workspace will be completely remodelled for this years release. I don't remember if it had strings, though.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,399 Views)

Hello Holt,

The VeriStand engine only deals with double precision data type. Workspace objects are generally supposed to control/display channels so no need for strings. Also, strings are eager to cause jitter, which is not something you usually want in a Real-Time Testing application.

If you really want to display some strings that come from other components (Stimulus, Gateway, Custom Devices...), I'd advise you to look at the Free Label control. It's located in <Public Documents\National Instruments\VeriStand 20xx\Display Templates\

Regards,

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,364 Views)