From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus Profile Editor closes immediately when trying to open file

Solved!
Go to solution

I can open the Stimulus Profile Editor, but when I try to open some profiles and sequences, the editor abruptly closes.  I recently changed my system definition file, but it seems like that's separate by design and should affect the editor.  Is this a common problem?  How can I fix it?  I don't want to rebuild all those files.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,594 Views)
Solution
Accepted by KB_GenMtrs

Hi KB_GenMtrs,

I have a few questions regarding your application:

1) What version of NIVS are you using? What version of NIVS where your profiles/sequences created?

2) Can you create a new RT Sequence or Profile without a crash?

3) Does the Stimulus Profile Editor crash when opening a specific sequence or Profile? If so, can you post it so I can try to open it on my side to test if it is recreatable?

I look forward to your reply.

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,580 Views)

Hi Aldo,

I'm using NI VS 2011 SP1 now and for all previous work.

I created new, very simple rt sequence and stim prof files ok, but vs crashed during 'Save.'  But then the new files could be reopened (save was successful).

Doesn't crash with NI demo files.

What about the 'f1' patch or  Java updates?

New:

I tried the Stimulus Profile Editor on a different computer (my own, VS s/n 2011.1.0.32) and I found it crashes immediately, before trying to open any files.

I see there is a Veristand patch called 'F1' which may help.

By 'crash' I mean the Stimulus Profile Editor program closes unexpectedly, and can be relaunced, and PC keeps running.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,576 Views)

Hi KB_GenMtrs,

Install the f1 patch since there were several fixes for the Stimulus Profile editor for NIVS 2011 SP1: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/3633/lang/en

If the Stimulus Profile Editor still closes, then my estimate is that it that the XML of the nivsseq is being parsed incorrectly. Would you be able to post your nivsseq so I can try it out on my side?

Thanks!

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,570 Views)

Hi,

Please review this other posting on the Stimulus Profile crash. The issue described in this posting could be what you are currently encountering.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-VeriStand/Stimulus-Profile-Editor-Crash/m-p/2413376#M2654

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,554 Views)

Hi,  I applied the F1, and then F2 patches, neither worked.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,507 Views)

Hi KB_GenMtrs,

I tried to open the NullStateCheck.nivsseq on NIVS 2011, 2011 SP1, and 2012 and they all worked fine. I was able to fix a missing IF/ELSE conditional statement and compile successfully without any crash. The next steps here are the following:

1) In detailed steps, let me know if you can open up the SPE first, have it load successfully, and then open your NullStateCheck.nivsseq Explain exactly when you see the crash happening.

2) Check the Windows Event Viewer log to see if a DLL or EXE failed to load successfully: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/open-event-viewer

Post back with your description for step 1 and post back the log or a screenshot of step 2.

Thanks!

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,477 Views)

Hi Aldo,

1) SPE screen says "Initializing data" then SPE program window closes.

2) Please see attached log files from the attempt to launch SPE ( all today's events), and change extension back to 'evtx' since NI doesn't allow posting files with that extension.

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,467 Views)

Hi Aldo,

Today the SPE window appeared but froze solid.  Please see attached errors.

Do I need to reinstall Veristand?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,446 Views)

Hi KB_GenMtrs,

Looking over the crash logs and the Windows Events that lead up to the crash, I wanted to make the following suggestions before we re-install:

1) Turn off all your anti-virus software

2) Browse to the following directory C:\Program Files\National Instruments\VeriStand 2011 >> right-click on Stimuls Profile Editor.exe >> select Run as Administrator for the sub-menu.

See if the SPE still crashes.

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,438 Views)