From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Veristand in Windows Server

Solved!
Go to solution

Has anyone tried having several developers share an install of NI Veristand on a Windows Server machine? The developers would use Remote Desktop for initial development, and would all work together at the console for test/debug.

I believe the computer based license described here: http://www.ni.com/license/licensing_options.htm would allow this, but I am not sure if there is a problem with having multiple instances running at the same time.

Has anyone tried something like? How did it go?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,970 Views)

Hi Clendon,

I think you could accomplish this with a few caveats.

You could have multiple real-time targets running unique system definitions created by the different developers. However, you would have to disconnect them from the development computer when accessing a different project. You would not be able to access multiple workspaces or multiple projects at once. As I see it, you could do something like this:

1) Open Project A and deploy to Real-Time target A

2) When you know it's working properly, disconnect target A from the project (by going to Operate>Disconnect)

3) Open Project B and deploy to RT target B

4) Disconnect project B

5) Reconnect to project A for debugging/testing

Is that what you're proposing?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,950 Views)

Posted by mistake and can't delete. Sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,936 Views)

Hi Alisha,

In my case, there is only one RT system. Also, we are colaborating on the same project. I was thinking that the developers could work "offline", not connected to the RT, on seperate sections. For instance Developer A would work on a device driver and Developer B would work on a model. The developers could use Model in the Loop or otherwise simulate inputs to test their sections.

When it comes time to deploy, then I was thinking the developers would have to work together at one console. Or some developers would have to work on something else while one used hardware.

I will back up a step. I am trying to figure out if it is reasonable for my company to order 1 copy of Veristand, and for the three developers on the project to share it. As I mentioned. all of us are working on the same project. The obvious, but also awkward way is simply to time share. We work in shifts until we are ready to integrate. I want to avoid this because that makes it harder to collaborate. (Also I like going home at 5.)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,930 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author clendon.gibson@canrig.com

Hi Clendon,

The license agreement states that the software can only be used by a single person on multiple machines (with only on instance running) or by multiple users on a single machine (which would only allow one instance to be running). I believe what you are proposing (multiple people using it at the same time) would violate the license agreement: http://www.ni.com/legal/license/

If you have further questions about how many licenses you would need to buy I would recommend discussing it with a member of our sales team. They'll be able to speak to what you would need for your specific situation.

I would think you would at least be able to get away with using only 2 for three people as model development and driver development will not need constant access to VeriStand. You'll really only need it for testing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,909 Views)

Thanks Alisha,

This is the kind of info I was looking for.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,902 Views)