VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to invoke a Workspace tool from Labview using the VS API?

Solved!
Go to solution

I thought I had seem how to do this in a previous post..but no trace of it so far... Is there a .net call that can be used to launch a VS Workspace tool from LV ? 

Thx.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,962 Views)

This functionality is part of the Project API in NIVS 2010+.  I don't know of any examples, but in 2011 there is a LabVIEW wrapper for this function on the palettes under NI VeriStand >> Execution >> Project >> Workspace Automation.  Unfortunately there is no VI wrapper for it in 2010, but it still exists in the .NET API.

In addition to launching Workspace tools, you can also send messages to them with the "SendToolMessage" method. You can see an example of how to handle these messages in the example Workspace tool located at:

<LabVIEW>\examples\NI Veristand\Workspace\Workspace Tool Example.vi

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,952 Views)

Ok, that sounds like a potential solution. What are the Workspace Tool Path though? For instance I want to launch the Channel Viewer tool.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,946 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LDBM

Ah, good question.  The default tools are actually built into NI VeriStand.exe, so there's not an easy way to get the paths.  This was actually brought up in another thread you posted.  Have a look at Jarrod's response for some caveats to keep in mind.  His response also shows the current path for the TDMS Data Viewer.

The paths aren't documented, so if you need a specific tool, you're going to need to contact support so they can talk to R&D and get the path.  For your question though, the Channel Data Viewer is:

C:\<Program Files>\National Instruments\VeriStand 2011\NI VeriStand.exe\NI VeriStand\Workspace\Tools\Channel Data Viewer.vi

(where "<Program Files>" is either "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", depending on your operating system)

Message 4 of 10
(6,840 Views)

Thanks Devin, it worked.  Now I remember... this sounded familiar.

Laurent

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,832 Views)

If you are calling the API from LabVIEW, you don't need to pass in the full path for a built-in tool such as the Channel Data Viewer. You can simply reference it by the path "Channel Data Viewer.vi". Unfortunately this doesn't work from the Stimulus Profile Editor function call, but it does work with LabVIEW.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,778 Views)

I would like to be able to launch the Stimulus Profile Editor in VS2011 from a LabView App. Can I do this?  If so how?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,527 Views)

If you are referring to the new Stimulus Profile Editor in VeriStand 2011, it is an application that you can launch using the System Exec function in LabVIEW. It's located in Program Files next to NI VeriStand.exe.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 8 of 10
(6,523 Views)

Thanks!! I guess I need to poke around more in VeriStand.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,509 Views)

Is there a way to detect if the Stimulus Profile Editor (or any exe for that matter) is already running?  I can do it with VIs, but don't see how to do it with EXEs launch from the System EXE.vi.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,473 Views)