From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use Easy Custom Device Tool to do the same thing LabVIEW the Basic Averaged DC-RMS VI does

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a cRio 9024 and am reading PWM with a 9205 analog input card.  It was suggested that I use the Basic Averaged DC-RMS VI to convert the PWM signal voltage into an analog signal (RMS value) for use in my system.  The issue is that the 9024 cannot use LabVIEW models (it is VxWorks). I am working through the Easy Custom Device Tool, and wonder if someone can guide me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,645 Views)

I am still a little confused on where to get actual waveforms or data from a channel. I am using VeriStand on a cRio and creating a custom device using the Easy Custom Device Tool, but am not sure what to do at this point. I am doing some trial and error, but I want to use something like the Basic Averaged DC-RMS inside my custom device, but not sure where to put it (execution?) where does the data go because the Channel Data is Doubles only....any thoughts?

I referenced a reply in this post:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-VeriStand/Running-DAQmx-waveform-in-Veristand/td-p/2162354

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,638 Views)

Hello,

Can you give more details about your VeriStand configuration ? Are you using the Scan Interface (and thus the Scan Engine Custom Device) or are you using the FPGA of your cRIO chassis to access the I/O ?

If you are programming the FPGA and using a FPGA Personalty in VeriStand you can probably add the calculations such as RMS to the FPGA code directly.

If you are using the Scan Engine, you will need a custom device. The Easy Custom  Device Tool is just a tool, you will need to know more about what a custom device is and how to develop one:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12712/en/

Regards

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,613 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wegunterjrASI

I am running Veristand 2014, cRio 9024, 6modules, and running in Scan Engine.  It seems that is why i am unable to read the analog voltage (from a PWM signal) since the signal is running at 200Hz, and the Scan engine is running at 500Hz.   I was trying to avoid doing a custom device or FPGA, and found a work around using the 9401 in Counter mode.  I can get the counts I need, so that is how i am heading for now.  I would like to revisit the Custom Device Approach, but not this sprint.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,602 Views)