From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Practice: Writing to VeriStand channels

Should I write to VeriStand Channels as needed or "on-update" or should I try to reduce the number of calls to the VS gateway and write them at once?

I have a design choice to make with a new project about how/when I should update the VeriStand system definition channel values from my software.  In previous projects, the design choice was made to try to consolidate all value updates and write to VeriStand once with all the channels' name-value pairs.  This required some effort to structure and seems a little unnecessary.  I would prefer to write to VS wherever I need to.  Is there any serious concern with this. 

Note, IF I need the updates to be serial for some reason I would have those dependent channels updated at the same time.  In almost all cases, I do not care what order they are updated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,360 Views)

Since the communication loops in teh VeriStand engine are low priority, it's probably best practice to avoid overwhelming those loops with data.  As such, I would actually recommend an event-based/on-demand channel update architecture over writing all channels on every iteration of your update loop.

Alternatively, if you need deterministic channel value update, you could write and deploy a real-time sequence to the target so that the channel updates occur as part of the PCL.

Cody A.
Message 2 of 2
(3,330 Views)