From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: higher order polynomial scaling

Solved!
Go to solution

VeriStand supports up to 9, and the ducers I'm simulating are scaled with 10th order polynomials. I'll fit 9 into the curve the 10 makes and get on with it, but it would be nice if there wasn't an arbitrary limit.

Stephen B
Message 1 of 6
(4,354 Views)

Hey Stephen,

Where are you applying the scales?

As a side note, you may have better luck posting this to the NI Idea Exchange if you want to get more R&D traction. Have a great day & Happy New Year!

Regards,

Nadine H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,323 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StephenB

Hey Stephen,

This definitely falls into feature request territory, but it looks like the scaling does support an arbitrary number of coefficients.  It's just the System Explorer UI that's limiting us.

To test this, I went directly into the system definition XML and added an 11th coefficient to the polynomial scale:

coeff

And it appears to work for both generating reverse coefficients, and actually scaling channels.  

Note: In general, it is never recommended to edit the system definition XML directly.  You could cause unforeseen issues, and generally make your life difficult.  Using the SystemDefinition API to create a polynomial scale would be the recommended way to work around this limitation of the UI.

-Kyle

Message 3 of 6
(4,319 Views)
Oh interesting. nice find. Did that run fine? I am actually using system definition API. It errors after 9
Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,314 Views)

I didn't double-check the math in my quick test, but it deploys fine, doesn't give any errors, and appeared to apply the scale correctly.  Definitely would be worth a verification but it looks promising.

Good to know about the system definition API catches this error as well.  Looks like we need to add this feature to a couple of places then.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,310 Views)

I checked it and it works great. Nice!

I also was able to do this from the base node api:
10th order poly scale.png

Thanks!

Stephen B
Message 6 of 6
(4,296 Views)