From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Device Output Channels not Updating

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm having a probelm where my Custom Device output channels are not updating in Veristand.  At first I thought that maybe I simply wasn't passing back all the channels I was reading but I had the device pront panel open when it runs so I could directly see the data being passed back and it is all there (see attachements) but once it is written to the output FIFO is doesn't get displayed in Veristand on the workspace indicators.

The one thing I thought of is maybe Veristand is reading the FIFO faster than the device is writing it resulting in default values being read.  Ideally Veristand would maintain the last value read if it encounters and empty FIFO but since that part of veristand isn't accessible to my knowledge, I have no way of confirming or modifying that behavior.

Anyone else ever encounter this problem?  Thanks.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,194 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author blackburnite

The problem was writing fewer channels than veristand expected to the output FIFO.

When the custom device first starts up for a split second it writes fewer channels or perhaps even no channels to the output FIFO which occurs far too fast to notice it by the time the front panel opens up so it appeared as though all the right channels were being sent.  Apparently if fewer channels are added to the FIFO than Veristand is expecting, it stop updating any of the remaining channels.

So if VS is expecting 20 channels and on the first cycle only 10 are written then from that point on it will only pass 10 channels even if I then pass the expected 20.  this could also be the result of the mechanism by which RT FIFOs work.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,189 Views)