VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you run Veristand on a Rio RT

Solved!
Go to solution

I know you can create a custom fpga on a rio and use it in veristand, but can you run Veristand on a Rio's RT

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,082 Views)

Yes, you can. There's a Custom device for that: Scan Engine and EtherCAT Add-on

CAN/LIN Communication won't work, though.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,033 Views)

Good day.

Thanx for the reply. I have worked through your link and am thinking weather or not I should set up can comms. So there is no direct way of accessing the c series modules in veristand?

It just seems to me that it should be easier. I want to set up a demo to show how easy it is to work with Veristand, but adding a Rio seems to me- can be a challenge.

I worked through veristand course material, labview core 1&2 , fpga and realtime courses.

any Ideas? Or should I keep to the path that you have suggested?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,013 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CFBotha

So basically I would say, using the EtherCAT CD in Veristand, the use of a RIO in Scan Mode is fairly easy. In my use cases the configuration was always easy and worked out of the box (after entering the correct controller info, that is). There's really only one exception, which is CAN/LIn communication.

In the link I posted, there's a short descripition about what's supposed to fix the CAN/LIN Issue which tells you to compile an empty FPGA VI and use the resulting bitfile. This is the same thing you also have to do when using the XNET Devices under LV RT. However this workaround didn't work for me last time I tried, working with NI Support everything pointed to this being a bug in the current version. I didn't need for this to get fixed and developed my app in LabVIEW instead, where that same workaround worked brilliantly. It's a shame, really, if you know how easy restbus simulation with Veristand is on a pxi.

So to your question: What does your audience expect? Of course it's easy to implement RTT applications in Veristand, the exception being CAN/LIN. I would avoid the hassle if possible.

Message 4 of 8
(5,008 Views)
In 2015 Version you will be able to use XNET modules on cRIO without need of bit file compilation. So the experience will be smooth and similar to PXI.
However you will be still able to use hybrid mode if needed.
Also NIVS support to NI Linux RT cRIO is coming.

CLA, CTA, CLED

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,003 Views)

I know, that you are busy working on 2015 and I have to say I'm really excited for it to come out. As of now though, I couldn't get it to work properly and we've had massive problems when using certain combinations of modules in Veristand.

Message 6 of 8
(4,984 Views)

PXI is very easy.. 

Add the XNET port desired and on the port settings page, select "986x settings". Select the bitfile you just compiled

I have generated the bit file. Wich port do I now use the CAN port?  And then which xnet data base do I then select?  I am stil a new...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,960 Views)

I think you are getting a bit confused here: The PXI does have nothing to do with the 986x...

You select the CAN Port with the same name in the project. As for the XNET Databse: it depends on what oyu want to do, but since you're asking I'm going to assume that you don't have a CAN Device you want to demo with in which case you can either leave it out completely or do a loopback test, if you have two CAN ports. Then you can create your own Database to your liking with the XNET Database editor.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,950 Views)