VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use CAN2 on PXI-8513/2

The tutorial video doesn't have anything matching between the system definition and MAX.  Also, the only thing that I can change is the name of the CAN port in the system definition.  Changing this to match MAX does not change the outcome.

As you can see in the attached images, in MAX, the CAN ports on the 8513 are named "CAN1" and "CAN2" (all of the available options, 1 through 100, for "NI-XNET CAN-Port" have no spaces).  But in the system definition under the "CAN port address" drop down for the port settings, it has a list of 32 CAN ports all of which have a space between "CAN" and the number (e.g. "CAN 1").

It seems logical that these (the "CAN port address from the system definition and the "NI-XNET CAN-Port" from MAX) need to match but it's just not possible.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31
(3,177 Views)

Hello NathanJD,

Are we sure that you have the NI VeriStand RT engine installed on the PXI? If so, lets double check in the BIOS of the PXI controller that the Disable Startup VI option is not selected.

If this also does not work, there's a chance that the NI VeriStand.rtexe may be corrupted. This can happen if you deploy other non-NI VeriStand LabVIEW applications to the PXI while the NI VeriStand.rtexe is still running. The best way to solve a corruption problem is to reinstall the NI VeriStand RT engine to the PXI and reboot.

Erin D.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(3,166 Views)

The RTOS and the VeriStand Engine are not running on the PXI Chassis, they are running on an NI RMC-8354 and is connected to the PXI via the NI PXIe-8360 (MXI-Express).  We have two major applications that run on this controller (at different times) successfully via VeriStand so I know VeriStand is not corrupt.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31
(3,148 Views)

Hello NathanJD,

Have you tried using this particular CAN card in LabVIEW to verify that both CAN ports are functional?

Also, can I see screen shots of your system definition file with CAN 2 selected as well as your  CAN Loopback Controller selected?

Erin D.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31
(3,127 Views)

In our application, we don't deploy LabVIEW code directly to our RT controllers so I didn't think about doing that but I know that when I look in MAX and select the different ports, the lights blink for the both CAN ports respectively.  I will try to do a pure LabVIEW deployment to test the CAN ports when I get a chance.

Attached is the system defintion showing CAN2.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31
(3,115 Views)

I was able to test both CAN ports using XNET via LabVIEW directly deployed to the RT controller.  Both worked flawlessly.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 31
(3,112 Views)

That's good that we can rule out a hardware issue then! Could also please send a screenshot of your sys def file with the controller selected? I'd like to see how that is configured as well.

Erin D.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31
(3,097 Views)

Maybe it would be easier to provide the system definition file.  We are using 2013 SP1, FYI.

P.S. *.nivssdf files are not valid file types for attaching.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(3,095 Views)

That helps a lot! I could not get it to work using your custom XNET Database, NIXNET_example, but I was able to get it to work with the database that comes pre-installed with the XNET driver, NIXNET_Example (it's case sensitive!) Once I changed that in your system definition file and reconnected the signals just like the video shows, I got it to work. Please give that a try and let me know how it goes!

Erin D.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31
(3,071 Views)

On my computer the 'e' is not capitalized.  This is the full path to the XML file:  "C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-XNET\Examples\NIXNET_example.xml".  The system definition was able to read it because I was able to choose the signals that are in the database.  I have also searched my whole computer and there is only this one file of this name on disk.  I'm currently using Feb2014 drivers, FYI.

Would you be able to attach your version of the example database so I can compare them?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31
(3,062 Views)