VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I launch a background process in the explorer

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to launch a service or background when either the project window or explorer is launched. If this is possible, I should be able to get the application reference (or is this .net implementation).

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,011 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris_Co

Good Morning Chris,

There are actions VIs that you can tack on to custom devices. 

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30447

You can also launch a workspace tool.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14421/en/

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Message 2 of 7
(5,982 Views)

You guys are funny!!

No, I have built several of each of these. What I am looking to do is when the system explorer or the project opens, launch a background process. When the workspace is launched, I will close this process. I probably could launch the explorer and the workspace my self with a custom VI, but this would negate my purpose if Veristand was launched independently. I am looking for a hook into the system explorer to launch a VI.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,980 Views)

What are these services meant to do?

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,972 Views)

They are meant to enhance the user experience! I will be grabbing control references of the panels and "enhancing". I am currently "enhancing" in the workspace, now I would like to do the same thing to the explorer. There is nothing malicious happenning here. I am merely adding functionality where it currently does not exist and is very difficult to implement. I have found a way to implement and want to see if it is worth putting into the explorer. This will extend the Veristand product to more applications (which is beneficial to all parties involved).

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,970 Views)

Hey Chris,

You need to give us more information about what exactly it is you're hoping to do. If you are trying to redesign the UI for Veristand and the system explorer then you can use the .net api to generate your system definitions. 

What you are probably looking for is the onload action vi that you can add to a custom device. Every time a system definition file is loaded with a custom device the on load action is thrown for that custom device.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Message 6 of 7
(5,932 Views)

I looked into the "Load on action VI" and the documentation led me to the conclusion that these action VIs (on load anyways) was going to launch when the main page or page i designated launched. Maybe I did not spend enough time on that document, but after your reply, I decided to give it a try. As it turns out this launches when you add the custom device definition and thereafter any time the sysem definition is launched (which is perfect). I had never before used the action VIs and they work like a charm. Thanks for the post on that.

Unfortunately I have ran into another road block that cannot be crossed (at least in LV2011). From this point on I know I can get everything together and working I will just have to do it in 2012 and higher and in 2011 only half of it will work.

Chris

I would not try to re-create the interface. Like I mentioned to Jarrod, I will be enhancing it. Giving additional features that are not currently there. I apologize for being deceptive but I am unable to mention exactly what this is for. Not that it is special (It is not) it is neat though.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,927 Views)