cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Loads/Distributed System Manager

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I just finished Real Time 1 training where I learned about the Distributed System Manager.  So, I deployed a Veristand project and looked.  To me, what I see is disturbing, but I'd appreciate your opinions.  While watching the CPUS, they seem to be occasionally swapping loads around.  The Veristand project should be "idle" meaning that the HIL is not even powered on, so the PXI Chassis should be running the custom devices (6) and models (2) in a steady state.  There is a good chance all 6 custom devices are operating timed loops (which I just learned is not recommended).  Also there are times where two of the proccessors seem to slowly swap loads (in the attached zip) rather that the wonky behavior below.  Any ideas?  Is this inidicative of an unhealthy system definition?

2016-10-19 09_24_51-NI Distributed System Manager.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,005 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author beavercreek

CPU Scheduling is an interesting topic, and while purposefully moving threads to different processors can affect the determinism of a system, the RTOS scheduler can and will move threads to different processors at different times. Moral of the story, what you're seeing is expected and fine as long as the usage of an individual CPU doesn't rail.

Now, if you want more control, VeriStand does give you the ability to control where most things run. You specifically mention models and custom devices:

Models - You can specify, on a per model basis, what core they execute on. See the "Processor" control on the model configuration page.

Custom Devices - Inline custom devices will execute on the same core as the PCL. Asynchronous custom devices (which I assume yours are since they use timed loops) will execute on whatever core you tell them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,978 Views)