VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alarm Monitor Status

The 'Status' column on the 'Alarm Monitor' page always has many grey boxes with a black line in the middle, instead of a green box.  What might be causing this, and how will this make the alarms respond?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,091 Views)

Hello KB_GenMtrs,

The grey box in the status column of the Alarm Monitor page indicates that the Alarm is disabled. When you have your workspace running select Tools »  Alarm Monitor » Select Show Details. This will expand the Alarm Details. What does the ‘State’ of the Alarm say? If you select the alarm and click the Edit icon you can have access to the alarm settings. Here you can enable and disable the alarm and verify the settings. Also, what version of Veristand are you using and is the Alarm connected to a specific channel? Here is a link to more information regarding the Alarm Configurations.

Wear
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,070 Views)

Hello,

The state is 'Enabled.'  I'm using VS11, sp1, patch f2.  The alarms are linked to various channels.

Once any alarm trips, it seems no other is allowed to trip and execute its procedure.  Also, I noticed my 'on start up' procedure is at the top of the list, but is nonetheless interruptible.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,062 Views)

Hello KB_GenMtrs,

An Alarm with a higher priority will preempt a low priority alarm. You can set the priority of the alarms and view the priority under Alarms section of the System Definition. If all alarms are active then only the highest priority alarm will be functioning. Under the procedures function that the Alarm calls what is the function parameter set to? If it is set to Disable Alarm & Exit Subroutine then the specific alarm will be disabled and thus only run once. Does the procedure end or continuously loop within? The On Start Execute Procedure will execute that specific procedure once when the system starts. Are you resetting the alarms? Are there any alarms that are constantly executing?

Wear
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,035 Views)

I have a procedure to reset all the alarms.  I wish there was an alarm function to reset to the original alarm state.  For example if an alarm was temporarily set to 'disable' then the function would not make it become "enabled." -Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,020 Views)

Hello KB_GenMtrs,

One resolution would be to have a user channel act as status flag for the alarm. The procedure which temporarily disables the alarm could set this flag to high(1). Whenever you run the reset alarm procedure add a Condition Step that checks the value of the status flag. If the status flag is low then goto the Label which enables that alarm. If the status is high simply skip over that label in the procedure. I hope this helps.

Wear
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,985 Views)

Hello,  I'm getting an Alarm Monitor Error when I undeploy.  Is this related to why my alarm statuses are grey-out earlier, as in the attached file?  How can I get alarms to be green?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,898 Views)

Hello KB_GenMtrs,

This error is caused when you try to open the Alarm Monitor Tool when the system definition is not deployed to the target. In order for you to access the Tools from your workspace you must first deploy the System Definition. This does not correlate to your alarms being gray. The alarms will be grey if they are disabled or tripped. Check the bounds of your alarms and verify that they are not being triggered or delayed due to other alarms.

Wear
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,875 Views)