NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J1939 Add-on Feedback

Hi,daniel. thanks for your sharing this custom devcie.

now my customer met a problem that when CANoe transmits a frame of DM1 from the message as attached including DTC signal, the j1939 custom devcie in VS can receive this frame, but the DTCs table of j1939 workspace control in VS could not display any DTC value even if click the button of "Refresh DTCs" and "Refresh Adress". However, if mapping the DTC signal from this message to a numberic control in workspace , this bumberic control can display the DTC value and update it.

the customer's project is as attached.  Hardware: PXI-8512  Software:XNET-1.8  Veristand 2013

how could i fix this issue ? it seems like that there is something wrong with the j1939 custom device. looking forward to your reply. thx.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 71 of 175
(4,900 Views)

Hey,

I apologize but I am a little confused by the customer project.  There were no messages being monitored at all.  Is this what the customer was using?  If so, which channel did they link to exactly? 

As for the DTCs, controllers are supposed to respond to a request for DTCs.  The J1939 workspace object works by sending that request to the selected address.  The device you are talking to must understand that request and respond.  Is that how the third party software is configured?  If not, is it just blindly sending out DTCs at a periodic rate?  If it is sending the DTCs out at a periodic rate, there is an automatic refresh DTCs button (two green arrows) on the workspace control that should solve that.  If the third party is just sending out the DTCs randomly, (event based) then I would expect it not to work through the workspace object.  Instead, you must add DM1 to the Incoming >> Single Point section in the system definition.  Then use it like normal data channels.

I would start with that and go from there.

Thanks!

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
Embedded and Industrial Control
0 Kudos
Message 72 of 175
(4,900 Views)

Danel,  sorry ,this project didn't add CAN frame.dbc . you should add a frame called "DM1" from the dbc file as attached

so do you mean it is normal that the DTC workspace control could not display DTC value if the device sent DTCs randomly?

0 Kudos
Message 73 of 175
(4,900 Views)

Correct.  It would only show up in the normal indicators if you add it as a Single Point Incoming section.

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 74 of 175
(4,900 Views)

it is only diplayed when the device sends DTCs at a periodic rate,right?

0 Kudos
Message 75 of 175
(4,900 Views)

It will if you have the automatic refresh button on the workspace object enabled.  Again, this will work but the expected use is that the device is set up to respond to requests.  It shouldn't really be broadcasting all DTCs all the time.

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 76 of 175
(4,900 Views)

hi,daneil.

the customer set the CANoe send j1939 frame periodically,but click the automatic refresh DTCs button on the workspace control and it turns out that there is still no any data diplayed in the DTCs table. so is there any other suggestion?

there is another question. what does the J1939 network address in VS stand for? is it the ID for sender like CANoe in the this case?

however, the customer find no option to set this network address in CANoe.  is it the reason why he don't get DTC data?

0 Kudos
Message 77 of 175
(4,900 Views)

Is it addressed to the add-on address?  So, if the add-on has a J1939 source address of xF9, is the DTC message being sent to that address?

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 78 of 175
(4,900 Views)

Hi Daniel,

I have been using VeriStand for a while now, and am a big evangelist of it!

I have just added the J1939 custom device to a customer's setup. Thanks for the sharing development - I can already see it is really powerful add-on. I don't have a lot of J1939 experience, so apologies if the terminology is a little off - I am relying on the customer's SMEs for specific protocol queries. However, I have converted their .dbc database and have successfully been able connect, access node addresses on the network and successfully make custom requests (with valid responses) to certain PGNs (at specific DAs).

However, I have imported a number of single point items in the system definition (creating VeriStand channels), and believe that the ECU is broadcasting these at about 1/second, but when up and running, the value of the single point item never moves off 0 (monitored in either the data channel viewer or the SPN workspace controls)!

Is there anything subtle that I am missing to "turn on" broadcast SPN message receipt? Or perhaps you might be able to point me in the right direction? Perhaps it could be as simple as definition errors in the database? Any thoughts gratefully received.

David

0 Kudos
Message 79 of 175
(4,900 Views)

Hey,

I am glad most things are working.  Everything should work as you described. 

So, the first thing to do is to check that the ECU is generating the messages you expect.  An easy way to do this is to disable the J1939 add-on and add a CAN port (at the same port as the disabled J1939 add-on) to the system definition.  Then, you can use the XNET bus monitor tool from the VeriStand Workspace.  This will tell you if the ECU is generating messages.  If it is generating, are the values zero or are they changing?  If they are changing, do the arbitration IDs match what is in your database file?  The PGN and source address (part of the arb ID) have to be exactly what is on the bus.  So, if your database has a source address of x00 and the ECU is generating a source address of x03, it will not work (ie. Database arb ID is x00F70000 and ECU is generating x00F70003 will not work even though the PGN is the same for both because the source address is different).  If all that is working and the arbitration IDs in the database perfectly match the arbitration IDs on the bus, let me know.

I hope that helps.

Dan

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 80 of 175
(4,900 Views)