NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J1939 Add-on Feedback

You can't really use the J1939 without a database.  This database is how you define what messages to read and write.  It also defines how to convert the raw data to engineering units.  You must create this database yourself.  The J1939 add-on does not have a way to create or edit a J1939 database.  I haven't checked in a while, but as of a year ago, the same was true of NI.  NI didn't have a tool for creating or editing a J1939 database.  The only different between a CAN database and a J1939 database is that messages can be over 8 bytes.  So basically, the NI database editor doesn't let you create or save frames over 8 bytes.  The file formats for CAN or J1939 database are the same.  Ultimately, you need to get your J1939 database from another source.  The J1939 add-on can then use the database. 

I hope that helps.

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
Embedded and Industrial Control
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 175
(5,052 Views)

Thank you,It's very useful to me.I have create the database.But when I deploy the project,here came out this Error.

Error -1074384767 When Trying to Run an XNET Application for LabVIEW RT.

Is that mean I should change the source code?

Thank you for your replay!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 175
(5,052 Views)

Hey,

The error indicates that there is a problem with your database file.  You shouldn't have to recompile the source code.  Please let me know your setup.  What CAN card are you using?  Are you deploying to Windows or RT?  If RT, are you using PXI or cRIO and which model?  Do you have XNET 1.7 installed on your machine and on the RT target?  Can you open the database successfully in other tools?  If RT, you can look at if the database gets deployed through the database editor (File >> Manage Aliases).  Do you have anything else configured to go out over CAN?

Let me know and I will do my best to support.  As an FYI, Monday is a holiday in the US and I won't be available.

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 175
(5,052 Views)

I have install labview2012 and veristand2012.And I can send messages successfully with out the add-on. When the CANking receive messgaes only showing error frame.Can i sovle this pwoblem If I use the add-on ?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 175
(5,052 Views)

I apologize but I don't fully understand what you are trying to do.  Please give me more information on what you want to do and your setup.  It sounds like your setup is a Windows computer that has LabVIEW and VeriStand 2012.  Is that correct?  If so, I have never had the opportunity to test the J1939 add-on on Windows (which could be why you see an error).  What hardware do you have?  Do you have XNET installed?  What version? Do you want to do CAN or J1939 over CAN, which are two different things.  Your last comment sounds like you want CAN, which isn't working as you want so you are trying the J1939 add-on.  J1939 and CAN aren't the same thing.  If CAN is what you want, you should be troubleshooting the problem with that directly.  What exactly is working?  Screenshots of your set would be extremely helpful.  Again, I apologize but I need more information to be helpful.

Thanks!

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 175
(5,052 Views)

I want to use J1939 on labview-RT. I have 8513,XNET1.7. I don't know how to defination the j1939 database.

捕获.PNG

is that right for J1939?  

I have use it send messages with J1939 add-on in RT system through veristand. But the kvaser receive error frame.

And I want to know what's the different between CAN and J1939.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 175
(5,052 Views)

That database doesn't look right.  Again, NI doesn't support doing messages over 8 bytes.  If you need messages over 8 bytes, you have to use a different database editor.  The message you are defining is only 8 bytes.  Therefore, it should work.  J1939 is a protocol over CAN.  You can think of it as CAN plus some extra functionaility that happens over CAN.  If you don't need the extra functionaility (namely, messages over 8 bytes or DTCs,) you shouldn't use this custom device.  You should use the built in CAN device (Targets >> Controller >> Hardware >> Chassis >> NI-XNET >> CAN).  Attached below is an example with a correctly created database for your message.  Notice that the database is used in the J1939 custom device as well as the normal CAN device.  Again, because the message is not more than 8 bytes, it will work in both places.  I tested it with my RT system and a 8513 and it works for me.  If you need to understand CAN or the CAN device in VeriStand or the CAN database editor, please contact your local support team.  If you have more questions on J1939, please continue to post.

Thanks and I hope this helps!

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 175
(5,052 Views)

Subject: Using J1939 and Veristand on Windows-based simulator/stimulator equipments

Dear Colleagues

I've to develop a system suited to stimulate an automotive Cluster/dashboard, with stong price contrains.

Since the system has no need for model execution and high I/O determinism (digital I/Os and some frequency signals managed by FPGA), Windows (MXI-PXI) seems

suited to host the application:

- what are the constrains and performance limitations in using PXI XNET (CAN) board with NI Veristand on a windows PC?

- is the J1939 Veristand Add-on supported in Windows as well? Are there any contrains/limitations?

- just in case, the application will need both FIU (PXI-2510) and Resistor Simulation (PXI-2722): no need for real time determinism. Is there any issue

Since I've been testing NI Veristand with cDAQ on a standard Windows 7 PC (it's really effective and performing!!!), I really hope that the smooth behaviour of Veristand running over Windows

also applies to XNET/J1939

Thanks so much

ciao

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 175
(5,052 Views)

Hello,

I have just loaded the J1939 Add-on to my HIL system and am having an issue with some messages not getting sent.  I am simulating 2 Vansco Multiplex Modules. The VMMs utilize very similar CAN IDs for all of their messages, with the only difference being the Source Address (D0 for one of them D1 for the second).  Anytime a VMM message is added to the Outgoing section with a Source Address of D1, the corresponding message with a Source Address of D0 is no longer sent.  If the message with a D1 Source Address is removed, then the D0 message will again be sent.  Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.  I'm sure that I can connect another XNET card to the bus and then utilize separate instances of the J1939 Add-on to get around this, but that is not an ideal solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 175
(5,052 Views)

Hey,

I am pretty sure I know what is happening and it is something I need to fix in the code.  If you don't mind, I will send you the fix directly for you to try.  If it works, I will repost the built code to the main page.  Let me know if this is ok.

Thanks!

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 175
(5,052 Views)