NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why my TestStand 2014 step out steps on failure?

I'm using TestStand 2014, and there are several substeps in my steps , however, I found if there is a failure in a step, other next substeps in that step will not go on. And it will step out that failure step, and go on execute steps in main sequence.

I want to know how to configure this property? I want to execute all the substeps in sequence, even though encounter failures.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,513 Views)

I doubt that your problem statement is correct.

The reason for this statement is that a step by default gets the final result in the end of the step execution (refer to TestStand manual: Step Execution). That being said, a step cannot be "Failed" during execution of any substep module.

There are two options i can think of:

a) A substep module is using the TestStand API to set the step status prematurely. This is NOT RECOMMENDED.

b) You are not talking about a failure, but about an RUNTIME ERROR. If an error occurs during execution of a step, the (substep) module should pass the error information to "Step.Result.Error" container. Once Step.Result.Error.Occurred is set, it triggers the internal TestStand error handling procedure. You can configure the procedure in the TestStand Options. Default setting is "Generate an Error Popup Dialog". If your sequence proceeds without any further action, you mis-configured TestStand to "Ignore Runtime Errors". This setting is only valid if you implement a proper error handling strategy on your own.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,453 Views)

In the case of the Multi-Numeric Step Type the Post Step Substep is determining, and setting, the status of the step before the Status Expression.  Is this the step type you are using?

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,447 Views)

Actually, after re-reading your issue it sounds like you are talking about calling a sub sequence with steps in it.  The steps in the subsequence fail and then it returns to the caller (in this case MainSequence) without executing the remaining steps. 

Couple thoughts:

Configure>> Station Options.  Click on the Execution tab.  Uncheck the box that says "Immediately Goto Cleanup on Sequence Failure."

Highlight the subsequence with the steps in concern.  Edit>>Sequence Properties.  Uncheck the box that says: "Immediately Goto Cleanup on Sequence Failure"

The difference between the 2 is scope.  one applies to the entire station.  The other applies to only the sequence for which you set.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,443 Views)