From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use custom reportgen file but don't touch original

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings Everyone,

Sorry if someone else asked this previously.

Is it possible to use a modified reportgen_txt.seq under a different name thus not to disturb the original file?  If so, how do I tell the client file that I wish to use the NEW modified file of a different name?  I am looking to create multiple customized report files for use with many different Client Files.  The purpose of this is to keep all of my Clients unique once I create a deployment.  This way if for some reason the software has to be re-installed it will not overwrite the reportgen_txt.seq file that someone else has modified, thus making the installation process easy then asking someone to go into the environment and have them do it manually.  Also is there a way to associate this custom file within the Clients directory?  Thank you in advance for any information that you provide in helping me better understand this software package

The software package to is being used is TestStand 2010.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,199 Views)

Hi Scott,

Have you see this post?  I think the discussion there goes over the report options and sequence files for various entry points within TestStand.  The following expression is used in TestStand to select the proper sequence file:

"ReportGen_" + Parameters.ReportOptions.Format + ".seq"

For more information on report generation in TestStand, we have a Developer Zone Tutorial .  

Please let me know if this helps.

Warm Regards,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,178 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thank you kindly for your reply.

Great, with the information you provided I was able to get what I was aiming to do.  I have another question for you.  I figured out a way to call a modified SequentialModel.seq that is stored in the Client directory.  Is it possible to do the same with the ReportGen_xxx.seq.  I tried the similar format for that was used with the Model but I kept getting a Path Error.

Also I have a question with regards to Deploy Test System.  The question is how do I add other file paths to the installation.  An example would be, My client files are in a directory called "C:\TestPrograms".  In one of my Clients I have a routine that programs a microcontroller.  The micros program file in located in another directory not within the client directory (ex: C:\U8_prg).  How do I tell the deployment software to include this file during the installation process.  Many thanks in advance for the information that you provide me. 

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,165 Views)

Hi Scott,

I found an answer for your second question, I believe.  There is an Idea Exchange thread which addresses this issue.  I think you can just change the Installation Destination of files in your TestStand workspace from the TestStand Deployment Utility.

For the first question, can you give more context for what you would like to do there?  I thought this question was answered from my last post, but it might just be that I am misunderstanding your question.

As an aside, for new questions, it is best to post new threads.  This allows for better searchability on the forum as other users look for similar questions.  New threads also get more attention since they show up as new on the main forum page.

Warm Regards,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,143 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author new2c2008

Greetings Daniel,

I figured out a way that will work for me with regards to the ReportGen subject.  First I changed the Report Options Parameter to what you suggested plus a little addition.  The line in my client file has been updated as follows: Parameters.ReportOptions.Format = "IO" + ".txt" and my modified ReportGen file has been renamed as: "reportgen_IO.txt.seq".  The end result gives me pretty much what I'm looking for.  This way I won't have to worry about moving the reportgen file into the client directory.

With regards to the second question: Yes, I really should create another thread for it.  I though about that after the fact.  I have a work around that involves manual labor from the person installing the software as a readme.txt instruction.  I will look at the information that you posted and start another thread with more information if I don't figure something out before hand.

Many thanks for the information that you've given me.  Its greatly appreciated.  It has helped my education process in better understanding the TestStand software environment.  Thank you for pointing me in a positive direction.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,130 Views)