NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

teststand execution time setup

Hi.

I'm using teststand to command an array of tests on an embedded system. Teststand communicate with my system through uart.

How to setup the execution speed between each step ?

There is an option in configure->Station options for the tracing. but "slow" and "fast" aren't really precise. Is there a way to set that each step are precisely called every 100 ms for example ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,963 Views)

Hello,

You can use a Wait step to set a time between each step. This way you can be sure there will be 100ms between the end of step 1 and the start of step 2.

There is no way to set the time between the start of each step (for instance starting step 2 100ms after the start of step 1). TestStand is not a real-time software, there is no data about how much time it could take to start a step done by LabVIEW for instance.

Regards,

Mathieu P. | Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments France

Journées techniques : des fondamentaux aux dernières technologies pour la mesure et le contrôle/comm...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,934 Views)

Ok. Thank you for this information.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,932 Views)

When u send a command to the embedded system - you could wait for a return acknowledgement from it before starting the next test.

This requires embedded software to have this handshake protocol in it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,920 Views)

I am already sending aknowledgements between messages. It happens sometimes that mcu is sending its aknowledgement too fast after receiving a command from teststand, and teststand miss this message and remain blocked, waiting for an aknowledgement that has already been sent.

Therefor i wanted to know if there was a mean to fix or to know the time needed for teststand to pass from one step to another.

But i found a workaround on my test application.

Thanks thro

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,915 Views)

If you have used buffers in UART code you should not have missed the acknowledgements.

UART works at a very slow pace compared to PC speed.Please look into it.

Adding delays in the TestStand level is ok but not the best solution in this case.

As rightly pointed out by others PC does not use a real time OS.If delay works fine on some system it may not on others unless you give a huge delay which may be not effecient.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,912 Views)

Well, i increased the buffer size but it didn't work.

As said, I found a work around.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,876 Views)