NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

step settings grayed out

In the TestStand step settings pane, where VI outputs are shown, why do some outputs get grayed out?  In the image below, elements of the error output cluster are greyed out.  I've seen it for other outputs as well.

Step Settings Outputs Grayed Out.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,027 Views)

As the container "Step.Result.Error" is already defined as compatible type to the LV error cluster, the elements of the cluster don't need to be assigned individually.

To be more precise: it is not possible to re-assign those elements.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,026 Views)

Shawynypeak,

It is because you have assigned a container already.  Delete Step.Result.Error from the error out line and you can individually assign them.

Basically if you assign a container at the top level you cannot individually assign subproperties.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,021 Views)

Norbert_B said:

"To be more precise: it is not possible to re-assign those elements."

Even though Norbet is incorrect in saying it is not possible to re-assign those elements I do not recommend that you reassign them.  You WANT your step.result.error to contain the error message returned from LabVIEW.  If you need to custom handle the error then you should override the SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError callback and handle it appropriately in there.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,020 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

[..]Even though Norbet is incorrect in saying it is not possible to re-assign those elements I do not recommend that you reassign them.  [...]

Oh, that would be a new feature for me, so can you please explain?

How can you re-assigned single elements in a container/cluster if you already assigned the complete container as a whole without removing that parameter setting?

To be precise:

How can you re-assign for example:

Error Out => Step.Result.Error

Error Out.code => Step.Result.Error.Code

Error Out.status => Step.Result.Error.Occurred

Error Out.source => Step.Result.Error.MsgStep.Result.ReportText

(Keep the container Step.Result.Error as toplevel item assigned!)

Of course i am talking about container/cluster, which are created to match each other 100%....

thanks,
Norbert

EDIT: OK, i see where the confusion arose. I have not stated that one has to remove the toplevel assigned container in order to re-assign individual elements, but stated it like it was never possible..... sorry

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,015 Views)