From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial port

This is a generic question about "test system architecture" in terms of how you develop your LabVIEW VIs etc. to work in a Teststand environment...

In a test system there is usually some central computer (PC) controlling numerous other devices (test equipment) which are all connected to it in some fashion.

In a simple application a Teststand "step" (i.e. action of numeric limit test) could run a VI which:

opens a serial port

writes

waits

reads some data

then closes it.

.. and returns to evaluate the numeric limits/results.

This is not a problem to implement. I think this is called a "connectionless" link.

In a system where the piece of test equipment (or even the DUT) is constantly communicating i.e.

streaming data

or a periodic heartbeat message 

... where the PC cannot be so slow on the serial link...

What is the best solution/architecture?

My impression is that you would create a serial communication VI (which is always running) and start it initially from an asynchronous VI call at the start of the teststand sequence. 

Communication would then occur between Teststand <>LabVIEW VI, using queues.

you could define the rest i.e. messages and data structure/protocol yourself.

Is this correct?

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction in terms of example code/application notes...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,355 Views)

That is how I've done my test systems.  Usually have VIs that react to my queue data as part of a test step.

I had to do this with a serial port as well as LabVIEW FPGA interface.  Haven't had to worry about any instruments constantly sending data.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,352 Views)