cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sequence file updatation

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Hussain,

To the best of my knowledge what you are asking cannot be done by using abort button.

Also its a very bad practice to  abort and not terminate.

As told by Jiggawx once a abort button is hit TestStand simply starts killing the process.Flow of program further is unpredictable.

This is precisely why TestStand has terminate button.

Its very easy to implement - refer the user interface examples.

Even if it means revalidating i would suggest you to do it.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,649 Views)

Hello Ravi

Thanks for your repsonse,

Surely i will go through your opinion, before that i would like to check with editing sequence file, 

the Sequecne file has few functions like Sequence setup/Clean up routines, can be something done here?   

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,645 Views)

Hi,

With abort mode it does not matter.

With terminate mode - yes you need to use it.

Let me try to explain you..

For every sequence ( main sequence or sub sequence) the order of execution is this :

Set up  - you can do initialisation here

Main  - your tests are here

Clean up - typically cleaning activities like powersupply = 0 volts,initalistion variables to 0,etc

This process works fine for normal run.

if your program is somewhere in main and you try to terminate - it will skip other tests in the main and jump to cleanup.

So clean up is executed even though you terminated it.

In case of abort - it will simply stop execution midway.No matter what you do in your sequence this behaviour is unpredictable.

Assuming you cannot change the user interface -  i would like to know on what ocassions do you abort the execution...

There are engine callbacks which are invoked on failures or errors.In this you can write code to execute your specific cleanup tasks and then close the execution.

Hope this helps.

Ravi

Message 13 of 18
(2,627 Views)

Hello Ravi

Thanks for detailed Explanation

we can't predict when the user can abort the execution, 

here are few more queries

1) there are many products test software are tested on same user interface, we are working on one of it.  if we suppose introduce terminate push button on UI . it should not interupt any other product software since this requirement is for one product only. 

2) I assume User Interface can be changed (will confirm later)

3) Please post few user interface examples links mainly on adding terminate push button.

I am bit new to this activity, so trying explain in detial 

Appreciate your valuable time and efforts

Hussain 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,624 Views)

Hi,

1) there are many products test software are tested on same user interface, we are working on one of it.  if we suppose introduce terminate push button on UI . it should not interupt any other product software since this requirement is for one product only. 

--> This button will be visible for all products.Its a TestStand level feature.Somebody clicks it..termination will happen.Otherwise it does not affect any product as such.

--> Just to understand more -  how are other products handled during abort? 

2) Please post few user interface examples links mainly on adding terminate push button.

--> Refer examples : C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\UserInterfaces

Look at the terminate \Reset button.This is connected to terminate reset option.For your use case you need to connect it to terminate.

There is not much coding with these as its a Activex button.You just need to connect the activex button to the respective TestStand command (2-3 lines of code).You can open up the simple interface program and check for the implementation as follows :

Check the name of the existing terminate button.

Search for it in the .c code.

Hope this helps,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(2,606 Views)

Hello Ravi

There is No diffrences, if we use Abort it just stops execution,  since the there is new requirement to one particular product so i am struggling.

Should i install test stand? or can i go ahead with CVI?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,597 Views)
Solution
Accepted by HussainHTS

Hi,

1) Bit confused with "Should i install test stand? or can i go ahead with CVI?"

The user interface is developed in CVI but needs TestStand engine to run.So TestStand is already installed.

2) Also you can open up your user interface code and check to what TestStand command the abort button is connected - probably the name is abort but the functionality its implemented is terminate only? 

You can also check this as follows :

Create a simple test sequence with lots of wait steps.

Add a message popup in the clean up.

Run this sequence in your user interface and abort while its still running.

Do you get the message pop up you put in clean up?

If no you need to add the terminate button.

If yes then change your test sequence to add your clean up steps in the clean up.

Regards,

Ravi

Message 17 of 18
(2,592 Views)

Ravi,

Thanks for your patiences reply

I will apply all your procedure, I am using older version of CVI Version 5.0, thanks again . 

I got teststand installation doubt because, the link you shared for examples ( C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\UserInterfaces )  i could not find anything in my PC might be because older CVI version. 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,589 Views)