From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about custom step types

I created some custom step types in MyTypes.ini file. These custom step types had a adapter of 'sequence' (i.e these custom steps are calling a particular sequence in a sequence file). Now, when I go into the MyTypes.ini and rename these custom steps, all the sequence files that were using these steps get messed up (which makes sense because those sequence files do not know anything about the new name of the step and there are no step types by those old names). My question is, instead of manually going into each of those sequence file and fixing this, is there another way in which this kind of an issue can be handled? My guess is no, but am just putting this out here to see what people have to say, any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks !

Anuj
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,833 Views)
I don't think that you can rename or change an existing Custom Step type without affecting the existing steps that you have created.  Basically, as I understand it, you've removed the step type and the existing sequences need that support for the custom step types.

As for making changes to your existing Custom Steps, you can make changes to custom steps and have ALL OTHER Custom Steps UPDATE to match the changes by:

1. Open ALL files that contain the Custom Step that you want to modify.
  2. Open the "Mytypes.ini" (or where ever the custom steps are located)
  3. Open the custom step properties that you want to change.
  4. In that custom step, put a check in the "Apply Change in this Dialog to all Loaded Steps of this Type".

Now, any changes that you make to the Custom Step will be propogated to ALL Loaded (Open) steps of that type of custom step type that is currently loaded (open).

This works great if you need to add another parameter, changes to the Pre/Post/Status expressions, or any other setting in the custom step.

Mike.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,825 Views)