NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programmatically get step limits in labview

In my test I use a factory pattern based architecture to load a class and execute the class.

Can I get the test limits of the step that is running in labview?

First I have to get the current step reference from the API, but I could not find it.

So my question is if this exist.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,938 Views)

Sure you can read the step limits in your step code module.

But it is highly NOT recommended to do so.

Just pass the measurement value back to TestStand for evaluation against the limits.

The code module should simply acquire/compute that value.

This is what modularization recommends. Lose coupling, high cohesion.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,932 Views)

Hi Norbert,

I need the limit values to simulate a signal, this is done when the instrument is set as simulated.

Teststand will allways perform the limit check.

Can you tell me which property's I have to read for the limits?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,929 Views)

Ok, i see that you want to use a LV module for a simulated signal which will result in a step pass. Correct?

Honestly, i still dont like the idea that the module reads out the limits on its own. The problem i see with this is that this VI is bound to TestStand for execution. So no reuse of the code once you have a project where you chose not to use TS.....

You can answer your own question by simply going into TS, select your Numeric Limit Step and look into the variable window.

I still recommend you to pass the limits as data to the module without the need of using the TS API to fetch those within the module itself.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,925 Views)

Then mainframe we build uses labview and teststand.

Mainframe consist of a user interface and HAL.

The user interface already uses the TS api, and I think that the HAL which I talk about will also use API properties.

So I think it will be bound to TS.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,904 Views)

Hi,

i agree Norberts suggestion. BTW maybe this thread could be interresting for you.

If you are able to create a step, you should be able to get some limits, too.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Create-a-LabVIEW-Step-dynamically/m-p/976702/highlight/true#M25...

Regards

Juergen 

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,899 Views)