NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple operators and multiple processes solutions

I need to test a lot of battery packs with multiple operators.
I need help for how to architecture the test process.
simplified Example:  one personal computer with TestStand and LabVIEW

two operators and three battery packs, test time 5 hrs per pack if passed, if failed just discontinue the test,
             three thermocouples and three LED indicators.
             expected result: a report list of battery packs status (pass/fail, test steps, voltage , current)...

In the morning, operator A arrives, turns on the testSTAND station PC,
 1. enter her/his ID number
 2.start to execute the test with
 3. enter the battery pack S/N (serial number)
 4.  one battery pack, one thermocouple and one LED indicator.
 5. test time is 5 hours  ( just assume it will take a long time here).
 6. during this 5 hours period, the screen displays temperature plot, execute 20 test steps (different voltages, different current, deep
          discharge the battery, and recharge .....)
 7. display temperature, voltage current,   collect data and write to diskfile every five seconds.
 8. for each test step if passed continue next test steps, if failed then stop the test.

so far it is easy to understand and workable.

however, at a later time (4 hour later) within the five hour period
operator A finishes building a second battery pack, so Operator A, would like to begin the five hour test process
start with
item #3 enter the battery pack s/n ....
4. second battery pack, 2nd thermocouple on 2nd channel, and 2nd LED indicator on a different I/o port line.
5. same test time  5 hours
6. I am not sure how to architect or design the human interface display so that the screen has two distinguished situations.
7. do the same for this separate battery pack (separate by serial number), display temperature, voltage, current, write to disk
8. do the same passed or failed....

and more here

a second shift operator B arrives and
1. enter his/her ID number and test a third battery pack, with a third thermocouple, third LED indicator
2...to 8 line items.

with PXI the hardware is capable supporting 8 thermocouple and many I/O lines

but I really don't know how arrange the software interface to have multiple operators log in and multiple serial numbers
at the end, we would like to see what serial numbers passed /failed and all the test conditions.

I hope that somebody on this board has similar situation or suggest solutions

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,046 Views)
Hi trout00,

TestStand ships with two versions of an Operator Interface (each implemented in five different languages).  You can find them at [TestStand Folder]\OperatorInterfaces\NI.  The Full-Featured OI behaves as you described, except that when you switch users (log out), it prompts you to either kill, abort, or close the execution when it is completely.  You will want to modify this so that it won't close the execution.  In any case, the reports are saved so you can examine all the results after the fact.
Cheers,

David Goldberg
National Instruments
Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,015 Views)
Thanks for your guidance.

The first operator will not log out, because his test is still running.
Can the second operator log in?

regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,012 Views)
Hi trout00,

As the Operator Interface is currently implemented, the first operator would log out (his execution would continue running).  Then, the second operator would log in and run his/her test.  You can test this behavior by running the Operator Interface from  [TestStand Folder]\OperatorInterfaces\NI.  Be sure and copy these files over to the User folder before making any modifications to them. 
Cheers,

David Goldberg
National Instruments
Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,992 Views)