NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

local and file globals in an execution

I'm having some difficulty finding a good resource that describes how parallel executions play into the TestStand variable scope scheme.  For example, does each execution of a sequence (in the parallel model in my case) have its own set of local variables?  How about file globals?  If so, how can one chunk of data be accessible to all executions?  If there are not separate instances of each variable for each execution, is there a mechanism to store data locally to the execution, or would I need to create an array with a pigeon-hole for each execution?

Does anyone know any good references to get a feel for how this all fits together?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,767 Views)
Whenever you create a new execution, it creates a run-time copy of your sequence file to execute.  This copies all of the steps and properties and all of the variables (including locals and file globals).

You can share data between executions in several ways.  You can use Station Globals.  You can use Synchronization Steps to pass data back and forth.  You can use the Sequence File option to Share File Globals for every Execution.  You can also set the flags on your variables to be Shared or Shared At Run Time.

If you don't want each execution to act indepdently, you won't need to do anything, they each have their own copies of variables.  The exception is Station Globals, which are always shared.

Allen P.
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,762 Views)