NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

displaying test step and results

While running a test stand sequence, what I want to do is have a window that displays certain items. During my sequence I would like to have a window that is updated any time I want something displayed. Example: I want to tell the user that a voltage measurement has been taken and its value. So I would tell this window the step name and the voltage measured so the user can see what is happening during the test. Or, I want to display the status of the major subsequences so the user sees the test is running.  I would tell this window the subsequence name and the status. Each time something is displayed in this window the list should be appended so the user can scroll back in time to see the status of everything. The window should stay on top and not be closed until its told either programatically and/or a button. Also each new UUT should clear the window. This could be a labview vi or a cvi function or something in teststand. I tried using a postUImessage method and it works but it is not very informative or visible. This would be perfect if it would run in a larger window with a scoll box that gets updated. An example program or sequence would be great. I will take what ever I can get. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
Erik
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,354 Views)
Hi Erik:

The easiest way to do this would be to create a subVI that shows up everytime you want to view information. You can write information to a file and append to it everytime a test runs.

You can get the information in your Operator Interface(OI) from the sequence context, cast it to a string and append it to the file using regular LabView file I/O functions. You can read data from the file and pass it to the message popup VI in LabVIEW thus showing the information when needed.

Thank you
Nandini
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,317 Views)
Hi,
another way is to customize the operator interface, and using the "PostUIMessage" functions inside the test.

I give you the c files of the CVI operator interface, customized for displaying in the lower window.
The modified files are "exedisp.c" and "engine.c".

kind regards
JMCe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,294 Views)
Hi,

I'm using TestStand 3.1 and was not able to run this example.  I'm wondering if you have a similar example to implement on TS 3.1 or 3.5.

Thanks
Rafi
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,279 Views)
Hi Erik,

I'm no expert but I do something similar to what you want to do.  I implement it with a CVI code.  I resize the TestStand window and place the CVI window just next to it.  During the test, the operator can see various activity like RS232 communication etc...  Basically you can put in this window whatever you like.  I agree that it is much more inteligent to do it as part as the TS window but since I don't even attempt to dip into its code, I find this solution sutable.

Hope it helps
Rafi
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,274 Views)
Hello all,
I have the same problem as Rafi. I also used the postuimessage. This is a nice method and is the one I am currently using until I find something else. The problem with this is it is not obvious. I want something that is blatantly obvious to the user. Something that will hold the user messges until a new UUT test is started. The LV example seems like a lot of work for something that should be very easy. A Step type of "Message Popup" would be perfect if it had a scolling window that could be updated throughout the test.
Thanks for the responses!
Erik
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,272 Views)
Rafi,
Could you send me a sample of your CVI code and sequence example?
Thanks,
Erik
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,270 Views)