NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create custom data types

Hi,

Is the custom data types more like new structures containing the elements of standard type? If i want to create a new data type say IP Address to input a string of format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, then i dont know how to do this. For a number, if i specify custom numberic format like %u.%u.%u.%u, the formatted value shown is "0.34998568.1234728.1234689"

Also, if i define a string type for IPAddress having the format "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" or a number for that matter, then how do i alter the validation while entering the value for this type. For example, when i enter a string for a number, i get an error message. How can i have my own validation for my custom type.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Aparna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,691 Views)
Hi Aparna,

To accomplish this in TestStand, we would need to pass either a string or a Container of four Numerics to our code.  The advantage of four Numerics is that TestStand will ensure the user is entering numbers.  Our code can than validate the format.

If we are calling the validation code often, we can make a custom step type that calls the validating code.  Or, it can be called in a pre/post step.

Message Edited by AEDavid on 11-14-2006 11:00 AM

Cheers,

David Goldberg
National Instruments
Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,669 Views)