NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling DOS executable from TestStand

I have read the forum under TestStand.  I have version 3.0-- I am unable to get a DOS executable tool to work when I call it.  I can create a seperate seq file and call Notepad fine but when in that seperate and unique seq file I put the call to my tool and try and pipe (>) the results to a screen it doesn't work-I've tried what seems like every option for threading etc .  So I even put my DOS program under a directory and naming structure that conforms to the old 8.3 DOS standard.  I try to pipe(>) information to a text file and it doesn't work.  It also doesn't wait the 30 seconds that I tell it to either despite trying every option etc.  I've done everything I've seen in the help but have had no luck.  Do I need to create a VB or C++ DLL wrapper, if I do then what challenges do I face?  I am close to telling my manager that TestStand is not a tool that we can use.

Thanks
JL
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,172 Views)
Additionally I have even tried using a batch file.  Maybe I am not setting up the parameter passing the batch file correctly?  I entered as if I were typing it from the command prompt.  Anyone have a reference or ideas, someone who has labored in getting a DOS program to work with TestStand.  I suspected this was a simple process but I am surpised at how hard this is.  I am affraid if something simple like this is that hard what is the project going to be like doing something more complex?  Any help would be much appreciated.  I am not able to attached the SEQ file as it would be againts company policy.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,165 Views)
Are you using the call executable step type? If so please provide more informations about how you have it configured, if not please explain what you are doing. By DOS executeable do you mean an old 8-bit DOS program (what version of windows are you running this on?)? Or do you mean a windows console application? Are you getting any error messages? How are you verifying that your executeable isn't being called? Or is the problem just with the IO redirection?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,140 Views)

I got it working.  Thanks for you input.  I believe I simply was missing a command on the command line (it takes about 5 parameters).  It was falling through and I wasn't able to catch what was going on.  I thought it was a thread issue within teststand that I needed to set.  I also didn't realize the default location that it executes from any my paths were explicit.  I also wasn't clear on some other details but have now figured them out pretty much.

Thanks again

Jim

~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you using the call executable step type? If so please provide more informations about how you have it configured, if not please explain what you are doing. By DOS executeable do you mean an old 8-bit DOS program (what version of windows are you running this on?)? Or do you mean a windows console application? Are you getting any error messages? How are you verifying that your executeable isn't being called? Or is the problem just with the IO redirection?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,126 Views)