NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Labview Server shutdown during TestStand execution

Greetings All,

Please forgive me if this question should've been posted on the TestStand side.

What would cause the Labview Adapter Server to shutdown?  I've noticed that each time I click the Test UUT's (green execution arrow) button that during the analysis part before the client actually brings up the serial numbers screen, the Labview Adapter Server initializes.  The task bar would always show TestStand 2010 and Labview 2010 (Getting Started screen).  We are running a batch sequence that is monitoring four (4) uut's during an ESS profile and performing various testing at three (3) different temperature levels.  The process is kind of lengthy (2-1/2 days).  From what I could see the test was in a loop, as usual, waiting for a response from the thermal chambers internal relays which tell the TestStand program that the chamber has begun to move to the next temperature.  I notice that there was an ERROR displayed on the side of one of the batch sequences which was reading one of the PXI-6509 inputs.  I took a screen capture at that point before doing anything further.  I didn't notice it at first but looking at the screen capture again I noticed that Labview was missing from the task bar.

I am wondering what could have caused this and if there is anything to prevent this from bitting me again.  This client sequence was running well for two (2) days and this happened with less than 12 hours of testing to go.  Thank you for any information that you provide with regards to this question.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,937 Views)

It is possible LabVIEW crashed. Does it prompt you about crashing when you open LabVIEW on its own after this occurred?

One possible cause for the crash could be accessing hardware from multiple threads without locks which may have happened if two threads were trying to talk to the 6509 at the same time.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,932 Views)

Hi snowpunter,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Unfortunately there are too many users that think too much and close things before my team has a chance to look at the failure when it happens.  There is a remote possibility that someone closed the Labview application by accident.  There are many times that the Labview screen pops up in front of the TestStand screen while the sequence running and someone closed out Labview because they couldn't see the execution.

It doesn't appear that there are multiple threads trying to access the PXI-6509.  The contractor that did most of the programming utilized a lot of Batch Synchronizations to prevent this kind of thing from happening, not that it isn't possible.

I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the operator from shutting down Labview, whether by the RED "X" in the top right corner or Menu-File_Close.  If so, How would I accomplish this?  Thanks in advance for any reply you have to offer.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,898 Views)

Yes, but it is done on a per-VI basis. You will go to File >> VI Properties with the VI open and then select Window Appearance from the dropdown. Uncheck 'Allow user to close window' and 'Show Abort button'

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,894 Views)

Hi snowpunter,

Thanks for the information.  I'm actually looking for a way to prevent this attached picture from being closed.  Any insight to this screen capture?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,890 Views)

That normally appears when you have your LabVIEW  Adapter setting set to 'Development System', changing it to LabVIEW Run-Time should prevent the window from appearing.  Select Configure -> Adapters... and then select the LabVIEW icon and Configure... to change the setting.

Thanks,

PH

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,885 Views)