We've created a custom step and we want to make it available to multiple users - I'd also like to have the step show up in a specific location in the Step Type Menu (Insertion Palette). So my question is; where do the changes I've made using the Step Type Menu editor get stored?
The changes that are currently used by the system are in testexec.ini as jigga said, however they are also stored in any type palette files you save. Thus if you want to redistribute your step types to others and control where the step types go you should do the following:
1) On a machine that is as close to the default installation of TestStand as possible with respect to the step insert menu
2) Put your step types in a type palette file.
3) rearrange the step insert menu the way you like.
4) save the type palette file.
5) redistribute your types by redistributing your type palette file. The step types will be put in the closest location possible with regards to the other step types and groups that existed on the src machine with those on the destination machine.