cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What licence do I need when scripting sequences

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi !

I'm currently working on a sequence which will be deployed on production test benches (#20 test benches).

This sequence will be in charge to script a specific test sequence for each product that can be tested on a single test bench.

I noticed that when I script my test sequences, TS is checking my licence's type. So I guess a specific licence is required to do this. What type of licence do I need to buy to run this sequence on my test benches ?

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,057 Views)

If you don't need to debug your production test benches it is sufficient to buy a Base Deployment Engine license for each test bench.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,051 Views)

This is what I tought...

But it seems that TS is checking that I've got a higher licence level when accessing to the code creating the new sequence file...

Are you sure that a Base Deployement is sufficient ?

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,040 Views)

There are certain API calls that require the dev license.  I have yet to find a full list of the API calls and their corresponding licenses.  However, I do know that saving a sequence file will require the dev license.  Basically anything that writes or changes any part of the sequence file to disk will require a license. 

If you do it all in memory then I believe you are OK.  For instance, I know you can dynamically create a step during execution without the dev license.  However, changing the FileGlobalDefaults will require the dev.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 10
(4,034 Views)

Hi Jigg,

I was afraid of an answer like your...

I need to save the scripted sequence files, create intialized FG, etc.... so I guess that all my test benches will require the dev licence Smiley Frustrated

So cost won't be the same... Smiley Mad

If somebody from NI can create a table listing the API calls and their corresponding licenses that would help A LOT !

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,031 Views)

You should be able to use a Custom Editor License, you don't need the full developer license. Also why do you require saving on a deployed machine? You can dynamically create a sequence file and run it without saving it to disk.

What exactly are you doing?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,010 Views)

Hi Doug,

I'm building my test sequences dynamically beacause they'll be different for (almost) each UUT that can be tested on test bench.

N (different) products can be tested at the sametime (parallel processmodel). The scripting part is called in the processmodel (before MainSequence callback) and the processmodel client is just a 'launcher' calling a specific sequence file according to the test socket (ProductFile_x.seq is a sequence file saved to test the product on test socket x-1).

So I found easier to physically save the scripted sequence file for debug purposes, and it makes the processmodel client sequence pretty simple so that it just contains a seqcall (and some custom callbacks for this specific test bench).

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,001 Views)

Doug,

If I don't physically save the sequence file on the disk, can I use a Debug Deployement Licence ?

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,986 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CyGa

I think if you are just scripting the generation of sequence files you just need a deployment license. At least technically. I am not an expert on the legal requirements of our licenses so perhaps someone else should answer from a legal standpoint. That said, you can make things work without saving the file by directly setting the Execution.ClientFile to your dynamically created file and thus making your dynamically created file directly be the client file (no stub client file needed).

Make sure you read the API help for Execution.ClientFile as there are some gotchas to using this API.

You might also want to look at the example:

<TestStandPublic>\Examples\DynamicClientSequenceFile

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 9 of 10
(3,949 Views)

Hi,

I made some modifications to my existant code in order to use the ModelPlugin functionnalities (as an addon).

I create my scripted 'file' and set Execution.ClientFile in the ModelPlugin PreUUT. And it works, I can run my scripted sequences with a base deployement license !

thanks !

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,876 Views)